Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:34 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 pm  Post subject: Learning a new language  
PSN: TaysteChampion
I have this random and sudden desire to learn a second language. How many languages do you know? What is your favourite language? Which languages are the easiest / hardest to learn? If you could speak another language which would you choose? Which language do you think is the most beautiful? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
PSN: MistressWiggle
I'm fluent in English and pretty much in German now. I used to study German at school and struggled with it but since I go there so often now and deal with clients in it I managed to pick it up pretty easily.

I'd love to be proficient in more than two languages but I think to really learn a language you need to be there speaking it all the time and major in it for 6 weeks or so and I don't have the time or the money :/ If I won the lottery I'd sure as shit be all over the place studying, living and learning.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
PSN: new one - PM me
Nice thread :D

1. 5
2. English and Japanese
3. Easiest: English, to be discussed though... / Hardest: German and French, yes yes
4. Tie: Italian and Mandarin, too many actually, Russian, Cantonese, Spanish, Swedish, ... :8|
5. Tie: Italian and NYC English :heh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
NA wrote:
I'd love to be proficient in more than two languages but I think to really learn a language you need to be there speaking it all the time and major in it for 6 weeks or so and I don't have the time or the money :/ If I won the lottery I'd sure as shit be all over the place studying, living and learning.

Yeah, and need a real passion for the language. I have time, I just need to learn how to spend my time properly and really get dedicated! (giving up gaming time to study). The problem I have is that I won't be there speaking it all the time but I will have opportunities to travel there, it's just unlikely to be for an extended time... at least in the foreseeable future!

Kijooki wrote:
Nice thread :D

1. 5
2. English and Japanese
3. Easiest: English, to be discussed though... / Hardest: German and French, yes yes
4. Tie: Italian and Mandarin, too many actually, Russian, Cantonese, Spanish, Swedish, ... :8|
5. Tie: Italian and NYC English :heh

Thank you :)

Wow 5 languages. Impressive :P If you don't mind, I was wondering which 5 languages you know? I wish I could speak 5 languages. But first I should concentrate on my second :D When I wrote this thread I was still thinking about what I want to learn, but subconsciously I knew, just my heart had to tell me - it's Swedish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:14 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
PSN: MistressWiggle
TaysteChampion wrote:
NA wrote:

Yeah, and need a real passion for the language. I have time, I just need to learn how to spend my time properly and really get dedicated! (giving up gaming time to study). The problem I have is that I won't be there speaking it all the time but I will have opportunities to travel there, it's just unlikely to be for an extended time... at least in the foreseeable future!

Yeah passion helps too, I absolutely adore languages and if I could I would take up a massive chunk of my time to get to know them properly. Not being able to speak it constantly is a huge issue, becaus eyou do lose it, the time between leaving school and meeting my current BF, my German lacked ridiculously, now we speak it in the house and stuff it's a lot easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:57 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
XBL: TruGamer97
The only language I really want to learn has to be Russian.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:02 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
German is kinda similar to english, and really useful.
It's what I'm learning.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
What method do you use for learning? I'm so excited to get started. I learned a few phrases just looking on the internet. But I don't know what are good / interesting / fun ways to learn. Pimsleur method sounds quite fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:01 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
PSN: jonipooon
Let's see...

I have Swedish as my mother language, and I can read and speak Norwegian aswell which would make it my semi-mother language. I can read Danish but I cant speak nor understand it, so it doesnt count.
As for others, I'm fluent in English and pretty damn good at Chinese. I studied German before and I guess if I just pulled my shit together I would be pretty damn good at German aswell.

That puts my language count to 5. If I have the chance I would also like to learn French, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Shanghainese, Spanish, and possibly Arabic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:41 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
TaysteChampion wrote:
What method do you use for learning? I'm so excited to get started. I learned a few phrases just looking on the internet. But I don't know what are good / interesting / fun ways to learn. Pimsleur method sounds quite fun.

Er...school, bro :heh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
Salariedcat7507 wrote:

I work full time and I can't afford to spend lots of money.

Anyway I started the Pimsleur course xD

It is so good! I have learned some phrases, some of the pronunciation is so difficult for me, it's crazy!

Last edited by TaysteChampion on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
TaysteChampion wrote:
Salariedcat7507 wrote:

Not the same sort of school.
School for kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
Salariedcat7507 wrote:
TaysteChampion wrote:
Salariedcat7507 wrote:

Not the same sort of school.
School for kids.

Yeah I don't go to school, bro. I'm 28 this month. The best I can hope for is evening class / tuition, if I could find something near where I live. Seems doubtful, but would surely be good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
TaysteChampion wrote:
[Yeah I don't go to school, bro. I'm 28 this month. The best I can hope for is evening class / tuition, if I could find something near where I live. Seems doubtful, but would surely be useful.

Sorry, I thought you would see the fact that you couldn't participate in the same sort of thing with the (heh) emoticon.
I'll try to be more clear in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
Ok. Well I would love to hear any stories about the journey to learning a language, especially from those who are fluent as that is my goal. Day 2 and the basics I have learned so far excites me xD there is so far to go... I can hardly imagine how it would be to listen to a conversation and understand it without *thinking in English*... :err

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
TaysteChampion wrote:
I have this random and sudden desire to learn a second language. How many languages do you know? What is your favourite language? Which languages are the easiest / hardest to learn? If you could speak another language which would you choose? Which language do you think is the most beautiful? :)

1. Just English, i could have a basic conversation in french though
2. I like english
3. I wouldnt really know as i havent made a big effort to learn another language. French was pretty easy though to be honest.
4. I would probably choose Mandarin due to it being the worlds biggest language and French properly if i could ever be bothered.
5. Welsh because it sounds SOOO beautiful :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:29 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
PSN: aceofthorns
TaysteChampion wrote:

English is my first language and and I've been taking ASL (American Sign Language) the past few years in school so I'm fairly fluent in that and I know just enough Spanish to limp through a conversation.
My favorite language is ASL, it's sentence structure and grammar just make perfect sense.
The hardest to learn is probably Spanish, I can't seem to get anywhere in that language.
One I would like up learn is German, not sure why but I just kinda do.
I'm not sure on the most beautiful language thing :/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
XBL: WAffle3690
I know ASL as well.It's my favorite just because of how different it compares to every other language by using your hands to communicate. I find it very beautiful to watch and converse with. One person I love to watch sign is Marlee Matlin. She moves her hands so quick you can barely catch what she's saying but she's so fluid with it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
Yeah sign language is cool. Most people actually use a form of sign language when they speak, but just for expression :)

On day 6 now and I am surprised at how much I have learned for how little time investment. The most I have 'worked' in a day was 1 and a half hours. Minimum was 30 minutes. Not a lot, but I didn't see it being useful to drown myself in too much straight away - on like day 2 I was so excited at what I had learned in day 1 that I changed my Facebook, Youtube, phone and iPad all to Swedish language... haha! Getting a bit ahead of myself there! Day 3 and I was like -.-' uhhh, no! Today though I am going to do a few hours.

Hej då!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
SSX (2012): Racing: #1SSX (2012): Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • Overall Best Players: #3
  • SSX (2012): Racing: #1
  • SSX (2012): Overall: #1
  • Overall Best Players: Racing: #2
PSN: RadicalPlayer
Arabic is my first language :) Then follows English even though im better at it and now im learning French :D Im not too good at it though... I want to learn French first until im fluent enough to depend on my own then probably move on to Spanish or Italian since i heard theyre similar :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:26 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
How long have you been learning French RP? Why did you decide to learn it? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 am  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
SSX (2012): Racing: #1SSX (2012): Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • Overall Best Players: #3
  • SSX (2012): Racing: #1
  • SSX (2012): Overall: #1
  • Overall Best Players: Racing: #2
PSN: RadicalPlayer
Because we have to in school :) Since 4th grade, but then its optional once you get to grade 9 and i chose to continue it, because we get to go to Paris in the spring ;P But our school's french system is really poor, we're still barely done with the verbs and most of us dont even understand - You know who o:)...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
XBL: WAffle3690
RadicalPlayer wrote:
Arabic is my first language :) Then follows English even though im better at it and now im learning French :D Im not too good at it though... I want to learn French first until im fluent enough to depend on my own then probably move on to Spanish or Italian since i heard theyre similar :)

Yes, Spanish, Italian, and English (and other languages as well) are all derived from Latin so they all share a lot of similarities. I believe Spanish and Italian are closer than either one compared to English.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
My word of the day! Probably of the week!

Sjuksköterska.

It means Nurse. This is a link to how it sounds

http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?ie=UTF-8&q=sjuksköterska&tl=sv

Copy / paste link into Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player will open the sound. In Chrome browser it was choppy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Learning a new language  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I know Portuguese and English pretty much at the same level right now. I think I know English better than Portuguese which is my mother tongue, that's weird I know, but that's how I feel.

I can talk Spanish pretty well, lots of time spent watching cartoons with Spanish voices. I can write some of it, but I definitely do make mistakes with spelling. I can read it very well though, I usually read a Spanish sports website every day, so I'm becoming better at it slowly.

I had French in school for 3 years, I know nearly nothing of it by now.

I can count to 10 in German.

Basically, I feel comfortable with 3 different languages (although in one I don't feel absolutely comfortable in the writing aspect, Spanish as I said). I can switch between the other 2 any time I want, makes no difference to me. I even find myself thinking in English, go figure. :D

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  1, 2