Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:22 pm  Post subject:   
Shacknasty_Jim wrote:
When you pull a monster, I think EVERYTHING slows down.

Not everything slow down. Your character's spins/flips and grabbing stays the same. Go play Trick Attack in 1080 Avalanche to see what I mean.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:49 pm  Post subject:   
see that is what I was talking about. the spins / tricks stay the same speed while the rest of the world slows down. I don't believe it is a cop out either, as it is neccessary to have for tricks with longer animations. I don't think it is a gimmick added on just to look cool, but put in so that the animations are able to have enough time. (you think that guitar trick would have enough time to do if the slo mo wasn't there? ->no way.) Also because the slo mo just slows the world around you then you could combo multiple monsters for even bigger tricks -> if you have time. The transition out of slo mo I think will have an intense feel of blasting back into real time.
If they make monsters hard to get then you will not be pulling them everywhere.
I am all for it. ssx3 was good but I see no reason for it to hold back and become stale like the TH series. (that slo mo is different btw)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:11 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Frontside_Air wrote:
see that is what I was talking about. the spins / tricks stay the same speed while the rest of the world slows down. I don't believe it is a cop out either, as it is neccessary to have for tricks with longer animations. I don't think it is a gimmick added on just to look cool, but put in so that the animations are able to have enough time. (you think that guitar trick would have enough time to do if the slo mo wasn't there? ->no way.)

The Banger was listed out at 168 frames, which is almost three seconds before it could finish. And as long as the guitar uber takes to finish, I totally believe there will be places you could do it if you didn't have slo-mo.

Quote:
Also because the slo mo just slows the world around you then you could combo multiple monsters for even bigger tricks -> if you have time. The transition out of slo mo I think will have an intense feel of blasting back into real time.

My issue isn't with the effect itself, as a showoff issue it's fine. The real issue here is simple repetition. Anything that slows the gameplay down is a detriment to the game, plain and simple. And while the slo-mo effect may allow you to get in really long ubers, it balances out in that veteran players who get tired of watching these long-animation ubers will inevitably switch to whichever are quickest to get to level 2 and max out their boost bar.

The slo-mo effect is fine, but as a gameplay mechanic it's largely window dressing. From what I've read, the main effect of it is to "give you a moment to savor the Monsters". For those of use who've been playing SSX since the first game, we don't need to savor the Uber tricks, we've seen them since Tricky.

Quote:
If they make monsters hard to get then you will not be pulling them everywhere.
I am all for it. ssx3 was good but I see no reason for it to hold back and become stale like the TH series. (that slo mo is different btw)

From what I've seen, the air time in On Tour is the same magnitude as it was in SSX 3 ie. ridiculously long. I think as a feature it's fine, but it's needs to be able to be shut off to avoid hurting replayability.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:44 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Monster tricks were so damn easy to get in ssx 3....and from what i've seen in trailers...you could pull off some of the monster tricks on almost every jump...it is a cop out, it adds in repetitive shit for the sake of being culturally relevent and to look "cool" and until i get word there is an on/off option, I think it sucks shit and the space that the monster moments take up could have been used in a better way. If ea wants the game to have any sort of replayability and fun to it, they should start listening to the fans and not some angsty tweeny boppers that feel the game should look and feel like their bedrooms.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:49 pm  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
The space that it takes up? :heh What are you talking about?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:57 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
The memory on the disc. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:59 pm  Post subject:   
And the time they took designing it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:03 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
exactly, it coulda been used for something more productive, like ANYTHING ELSE...:)

man, they could put more tricks, or more courses...but noooo, they gotta crap out on tricks and slow em down just so we can oogle at the orgasm inducing trick animations....cause you all know watching them tricks animate will just do it for ya!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:27 pm  Post subject:   
It definitely boils down to either having the effect in with an option of toggling the effect on and off or removing the effect completely. Upon watching the trailers a few more times, I can see that it makes the trick a bit more immersive and 'spotlighted' but as far as being an integral part to the gameplay I think that would definitely hurt it in the long run (as I'd already stated)

Window dressing/fluff/excess. They need to trim some things but I suppose that's why they have another 4 months..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:31 pm  Post subject:   
I'm with Shacknasty, vix and others on this one. They better keep slo-mo for replays, or build in an on/off option. It might look nice in the game when you see it for the first time but the novelty will wear off very, very fast and the effect will start sucking big time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:32 pm  Post subject:   
:china :china

exactly what I've been trying to say.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:35 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
the novelty will wear off after going halfway through one show off venue...it will be so annoying that more controllers may end up in the tv than in the hands of those ssx players...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:53 pm  Post subject:   
Not too be ~tooooo~ nit-picky :cry (but hey, the game is in the developmental stages, that's what we get to do for now :yes ) another detrimental thing that the effect (slomo spotlight) employs is rotating the camera about 45 degrees on an X axis, which makes it pretty difficult to see where you're going to land and what might be coming up down the mountain...

All in all the effect seems to be more about flash than function, which is clearly an indication its headed the wrong direction I would think..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:58 pm  Post subject:   
Yeah, Hades you're right, that camera angle is annoying...this effect better turn out way different that we're expecting, or there better be an on/off switch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:36 am  Post subject:   
PSN: jonipooon
That camera angle really IS irritating... I hope there is a switch on/off thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:35 am  Post subject:   
Simple solution, dont do any monster tricks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:53 am  Post subject:   
if your worried about the flow of the game... there is absolutely no need b/c the slo mo effect is only triggered when you click the right analog stick. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:52 am  Post subject:   
...I really hope you're right...that...would rule. Is that concrete info that you heard somewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:11 am  Post subject:   
yeah, I either heard it on ign or On The Spot EA Summer Nights or w/ever on gamespot. :yes

edit: I just noticed if you actually watch the new ign vids (the newest) an icon of an analog stick appears indicating that you should press the right analog stick to use slo mo.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:33 am  Post subject:   
yea i heard that too

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:43 am  Post subject:   
totally there. eleven. I thought that everyone knew that but I guess they didn't which would explain the extream distaste in the monster tricks (looking in your direction there vix-> usually don't see you swear so much....lol.) EA has set it up that you don't pull them by mistake (unlike the ubers in ssx3 which can be pulled by mistake due to button pressing. So now if you have enough boost for a monster there will be no mistake on how to pull one off -> crank the right analog stick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:56 am  Post subject:   
So now no one can be an expert at monster tricks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:59 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
No one pulls monster tricks in ssx by mistake, wtf, where in hell do you get that mentality from. Holy hell, EA must be effing morons at this point. Wow, just wow. The game itself fricken tells you how to do the monster tricks. And if you can't put two and two together than you have issues.

The sheer fact that they say soooooo many people accidentally did monsters and wrecked is so moronic and just proves the point that they are dumbening the game down just so that more people will play which is so stupid, it's unreal. Because in the long run, less people will want to even play the game is tricks become as simple as flicking the stupid stick.

Monster tricks are easier this time around, think about it....

SSX 3 - do a combo of button presses
On tour - Flick the stick

Ugh, I swear, EA wants to dig an early grave for ssx.

I haven't seen anything to prove that monster tricks are super impossible to pull off or hard to do or anything of that nature. You flick the stick and looky, you do a monster trick.

There is no evidence of a player doing any other types of uber's so far which makes me believe that all ubers are not just simply monster tricks therefore making then so damn easy to do...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:06 pm  Post subject:   
vix wrote:
Ugh, I swear, EA wants to dig an early grave for ssx.

Yeah, because this is the biggest issue in the world.

Sarah and Joanne are wrong- this stays in here until it's proven.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:34 pm  Post subject:   
I did Monster Tricks accidentally a few times, but it didn't make me crash. Monster Tricks in SSX 3 was just an uber with some specific spins.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 3 of 4 [ 94 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4