Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:55 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:17 pm  Post subject: "Monster" floating text during trick? Slo-mo?  
Am I the only one hoping this feature (especially the floating text saying "Monster!") is edited out of the final version? I see how they want to make the tricks more focused and extravagant in their presentation but I think they do enough of that on their own without excessive text polluting the screen... I think that may cause performing the tricks to become a little more monotonous..

Granted, SSX3 also had a 'monster trick' text pop-up.. but this one seems more intrusive. I suppose when I really play it I'll know how it feels a bit more, but the Slo-mo/extralighting/sfx/text seems a tad much, especially expecting that players will get good enough to bust Monsters every jump.. The slomo seems like it could become redundant.

At the least, I hope for an option to toggle the effects on and off... is there any news of this sort of thing?? Sorry if this post has been done before I just recently popped back in..

I think I may just have liked the old HUD a lot more than this one's less-is-more approach (so far..)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:21 pm  Post subject:   
XBL: l Kayleigh J l
I like the Slo Mo effect,it makes the trick seem, out of this world almost..its great i reckon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:08 pm  Post subject:   
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #2
XBL: Royank
PSN: Royank
first off i don't like the sytle they have for On Tour it's feel to Rock style to me. But addressing the monter trick I just want somebody saying Monster trick thats it. Didn't like the text or showing up in the middle of the screen. But i like the slo-mo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:31 pm  Post subject:   
DO YOU EVER TRY TO READ YOUR OWN POSTS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:40 pm  Post subject:   
do you ever read the topic -_-.........

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:46 pm  Post subject:   
I figured somthing was different when the first video came out. It seemed unnatural the way he kinda floated at the end. But I really like it. It makes the games sense of style even better.(even if the rock thing is a bit over done)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:14 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
i don't really care for the monster moment's to begin with...it removes a flow from the game....they said they wanted to make it feel faster but they're only slowing it down, every monster trick you do, though it appears all ubers are now monster tricks...will slow down the game...i don't care for it...i guess i just kinda gotta see it in action myself...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:18 pm  Post subject:   
Yeah, I agree with what vix said. It does seem like it would take flow away from the game, but we can't know until we've played it. Also, does this mean uber tricks won't have names anymore? That they'll just be "Monster Trick"?

I swear, they could make these games so much better if they would just visit this site more, :heh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:59 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
i don't think it looks THAT bad.... but the float around the character slo mo thing is a little strange.

p.s. Hades, where in UT do you live?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:27 am  Post subject:   
I it looks like there still ubers from the video because on the left of the screen after landing a trick it says Uber but it doesn't have a specific name, but they better not make the character special ubers monster tricks i would be pissed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:59 am  Post subject:   
PSN: jonipooon
Im so confused... why are they doing the game SO BAD? That new monster mode thing is a ugly part of the game.. yuck..

Thanks for listening to the TRUE fans EA!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:08 am  Post subject:   
I'm sure just as in the Tiger Woods series, there will be an option to turn off the slo-mo. Maybe I'm giving EA more credit than they deserve, but I would like to think they're smarter than that.

PD~

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:50 pm  Post subject:   
[quote="Tunes"]i don't think it looks THAT bad.... but the float around the character slo mo thing is a little strange.

p.s. Hades, where in UT do you live?[/quote]

I'm in North Ogden/Ogdenish.. going to Weber State for now, muh. haha..

Anyway.. I'm glad I'm not the only one to be slightly dismayed by the presentation.. I think I'll still like the game a whole bunch, and I'm definitely buying it (which is why they could get away with releasing some sub-par elements in a game, maybe?)

One more thing that slightly irks me is that absolutely awful guitar riff that plays after the player has succeeded in completing a mission.. It's on a couple of the newer trailers..

That just strikes me as so butt-rock and out of place, I don't get amped hearing some cheesy 80's rocker guitar on any game in recent memory.. I liked the sound effect in SSX3 just that quick, brief "mission success!" hud message, kind of like a distorted highlight reel noise on a sports channel.. But this.. I don't know, I just feel like the 'rock' aspect is being flaunted about a bit much in these trailers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:54 pm  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
vix wrote:
i don't really care for the monster moment's to begin with...it removes a flow from the game....they said they wanted to make it feel faster but they're only slowing it down, every monster trick you do, though it appears all ubers are now monster tricks...will slow down the game...i don't care for it...i guess i just kinda gotta see it in action myself...

That's exactly what I think...I hate that effect. I want to keep riding not watching a monster for like 2 or 3 seconds before moving on. Considering we'll do lots of them it can get annoying. :dead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:27 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: Eviltim1700
Jonipoon wrote:
Im so confused... why are they doing the game SO BAD? That new monster mode thing is a ugly part of the game.. yuck..

Thanks for listening to the TRUE fans EA!

And I know you've played it so much....
You've seen 8 minutes of video, and now its a game that is "SO BAD"?

I don't see why the slow motion is a horrible deal. It might break the flow a little bit, but it is in the air, so it isn't like it is going to mess you up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:11 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
it's kinda the point where EA had wanted to make the series feel faster, adding in a kickin speed boost...but then in the middle of the main part of the action, they all o a sudden slow it up...it's the exact same thing in thug2 where you could slow mo all the special tricks you do....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:23 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
I don't see why the slow motion is a horrible deal. It might break the flow a little bit, but it is in the air, so it isn't like it is going to mess you up.

Tricky had the "Matrix-effect" that zoomed around the player and it was in the air, and that broke up the feel of the gameplay so much they removed it before release.

My issue isn't with the effect itself, that's fine. The issue is whether we'll have a choice to turn it off or not - just like having to watch the cinemas of the call monsters in FF8 over and over - if there isn't an option to not turn off the mode, then it can get very tiresome having to go through the slowdown effect every time to do a jump. Personally, I hope there's an option to turn off the blur effect as well. There are sometimes when I'm looking for stuff (shortcuts, snowflakes, whatever) when having ANY portion of the screen blurred/inaccessible is uber-annoying.

Yes, the effect is nice, but "Monster Moments" as this effect is called is fine for a moment, not for an entire run. The effect won't be that cool on anyone who's played more than one game in the series anyway. Imagine playing a slopestyle run and having the FPS slow down to like 3 every time you did an Uber. :heh

But I digress, because I'm certain that EA will have an off option for this in the game. Yeah, they're making the game accessible to new people but they know how the veteran of the series will react towards this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:10 pm  Post subject:   
Surprise Celebrity Panelist
Personally, I doubt they'll keep the slow-mo in because, yes, it is rather distracting. That, and speed is often the funnest part of flipping. But then again, I think some major, complicated tricks would look awesome with it. So yeah... I agree with gondee's idea to be able to turn it off. :heh

Otherwise, I think the monster text and lights really arn't THAT distracting. Yet.

Quote:
Tricky had the "Matrix-effect" that zoomed around the player and it was in the air, and that broke up the feel of the gameplay so much they removed it before release.

I remember the EA people also told us that SSX3 had this, but it was soley to take screenshots pre-release. Just a tidbit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:35 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
I remember the EA people also told us that SSX3 had this, but it was soley to take screenshots pre-release. Just a tidbit.

Yeah, but the Matrix effect in Tricky was touted as a "feature" and was removed specifically because it interferred with game testers moves. Not that the SSX On Tour "Monster Moments" are worse than that, because they aren't that distracting, but the fact is that anything that takes away from the flow of a game is worse than any "moment of awe" that it's designed to incite.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:32 pm  Post subject:   
royank wrote:
first off i don't like the sytle they have for On Tour it's feel to Rock style to me. But addressing the monter trick I just want somebody saying Monster trick thats it. Didn't like the text or showing up in the middle of the screen. But i like the slo-mo

slows down the gameplay too much. if their trying to show a new sense of speed in the game then that definetly isn't the way to go. It would be okay at the end of a big air event but that's about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:27 am  Post subject:   
true.But o well we will all wait for a demo disc to come out for it so we can try it out like they always do

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:55 am  Post subject:   
It looks okay, but i think it'll get a bit repetitive afte a while, especially if you want to do a run with all your tricks flowing together. As said before, the option to have it in or off would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:15 am  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I don't really like this. It's like in Burnout. You do dozens of takedowns and each time you did one the camera turned back and showed the opponent's car smashed with slo-mo for 3 seconds. It tottaly killed the flow and speed of the game.

But there was an option to turn it off. As long as SSX4 has that option for Monsters it'll be okay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:30 am  Post subject:   
yea i noticed that too it is way to much like burnout. Like in burnout when you get to close to a car its says close call, same in On Tour. What's next take down bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:51 am  Post subject:   
Don't give them ideas ! lol

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 4 [ 94 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4