Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:20 pm  Post subject: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Tricky: Showoff: #2
  • SSX Tricky: Overall: #2
I thought it would be interesting to discuss our ways to approach pursuing highscores, or just PB's in general. This is the very analytical side of gaming, and I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to be too analytiical, but anyways:

As for me, I just play the tracks over and over again until I improve. I rarely spend time practicing major or minor techniques. ( My learning curve for the first spin MT's became much steeper after focusing solely on that for a few days, but then again I had to rewire my muscle memory). So this was the only way for me to get better at it, try to get relaxed, put your headphones on with some good music and just do it over and over again and it will take less effort over time.

So, bring on experience with your approach to reaching goals and I'm sure we can help each other and learn new ways to approach the game! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
SSX 3: Racing: #1SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1SSX 3: Overall: #1SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 8
  • Overall Best Players: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Showoff: #2
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #3
It really depends on everything from mood, how "in the zone" I am, how much time I have, and how good I am as it is. When I go for a high score, WR or PB, as long as it's a short run (<30 mins), I generally look at the current best run and the TAS run (assuming one exists). I make a realistic path for myself, often split it into three paths labeled "easy/safe" "realistic" and "hard/risky". Written down or in my head, most often the latter. I try to execute said path, and play. Often for a long while. Sometimes I practice individual bits or segments I feel particularly weak at, or that could easily kill a run. I also generally like to finish a run here and there, as that keeps me out of reset central.

For my 10 M run on SM for instance and some others, I went deep into the analytics. I analyzed every single jump of OVER FIVE RUNS to find out hypothetical base scores, potential improvement, percentage chances etc. I took that very seriously. Most of the time I do not make a document or spreadsheet such as that one, but I generally do analyze... a lot. After I have analyzed, found the theoretical aspect, I have to find the practical aspect. That means... I have to actually pull off parts of my path. I prefer having a path consisting of only things I can do 50% or more of the time for "realistic" paths until I am really trying to optimize. (Metro for instance, I have a few tactics where I have a higher fail ratio than 50%)

In terms of what I spend my time doing when going for high scores, most to least:

Play the game relaxedly > play the game focused > analyze path > analyze own performance > practice specific things.

I find that it works. My only real crutch is that, while I am a very mild-mannered person and very rarely get genuinely angry, I have a bit of a raging problem in games I am good at. I have a habit of getting frustrated with mistakes that I deem "easy", which sometimes helps me get motivated, but most of the time it just fucks me. :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:47 am  Post subject: Re: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
I just do the same track over and over like you, then I study some tricky jumps. I also watch master run videos, because they really help a lot with some of the harder tracks like kick doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:21 am  Post subject: Re: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
898ppp, very interesting reading your post! I suspect your approach really helps you to be one of the very best- I´m surprised you have so well rounded thoughts regarding this subject- you have a great ability to reflect upon your own progress it seems. I´m extremely straight forward compared to you. Your smart approach to making highscores is something I will consider for the future! Thanks for your input :china

nigel, studying master runs definitely helps a ton, yes!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:35 am  Post subject: Re: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
SSX: Showoff: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX: Showoff: #1
PSN: Adru1011
I just find my zone when I play. I looked at master runs like what others say because that's what I find the easiest way to analyze the run, seeing what the other player did and how they did it. Then I try practicing my runs, look for alternatives if there is any, and combine what I learned to what I can do, zone in and go hard.

This is a perfect example of my thought process. The original master run video (Grandmort's video above) was the main source I based my run off of. Except in a couple specific spots I deviated from his paths and made alternatives of my own. On Grandmort's video, skip to 1:00, where at the jump with the orange 3x multiplier he flew off. Skip to 1:10 to my video just below Grandmort's, where I took a different path. Instead of flying off, I tried staying on the path to potentially get the red 5x multiplier, which was kinda playing safe/risky at the same time. Probably the hardest thing for me was at 1:47. It took me almost an hour trying to perfect the jump to get the 5x multiplier from the billboard, which at first I didn't see.
Basically, I look at runs I can do, practice, find alternatives, zone in, and go hard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:12 am  Post subject: Re: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
XBL: PeacefulJarl379
I usually get myself calm, and play through the track in Conquer the Mountain. My last run is where I study my PB and try to find mistakes. Then, I get SUPER UBER ASAP. For Slopestyle, I find the 5x and 10x multipliers an bust an X-cutioner or the one with the Madonna trick. For bug air, I bust a double Monster Trick in the biggest jump. Pipes is where I bust out many MTs with smurphys. For race, I keep on the rails boosting holding up on the stick.

For Freestyles keep the combo.
For Backcountry do whatever you want.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
Alex, you have some good advice there, even providing video comparison as well, great input!

PeacefulJarl379, thanks for your input as well!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Strategies and mindsets when going for a highscore  
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Racing: #2
I generally just ride around the mountain freely, getting in the zone and rhythm, doing seemingly pointless and cool stuff. This helps me warm up, you could say :D and then I'm good to go!!!

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]