Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:41 am  Post subject: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Weekly Challenge #2

Hey there guys, so the first weekly challenge is coming to a close today and it was quite a lot of fun to do. So now it is time to start up week 2! Insetik, 898ppp, and I have done some talking about what challenge we should do for this week and we have decided that for week 2 we wanted to do a freestyle theme challenge (especially since a lot of the active members of merqury city are primarily tricksters.) Below are the details on this week’s challenge and the rule set. I hope you guys are able to participate and enjoy this challenge.

Challenge #2 - Simple Freestyle: Happiness

Get the highest score possible on the happiness backcountry WITHOUT the use of monster tricks, combo cheesing (excessive combo spam), pipe abuse (superpipe-like terrain). Video of your run must be provided in this thread.
Hopefully this rule set isn’t too restrictive and will produce interesting route changes and results. Please leave any feedback you have about this challenge or any suggestions for future challenges in this thread!

Scoreboard for weekly challenges

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jKq_5wl2KXy3e_uFxsOydOv0tQKHJVeGog3wmailPNs/edit?usp=sharing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:06 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
SSX 3: Showoff: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #1
man! this idea is awesome :thumbsup , I think I'll have to take part in this :P but about the rules, I can keep my combo from beginning to end of the run? and about the ice wall, only the "abuse" is restricted, or is a total restriction on the use of the ice wall as a "pipe"?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:59 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hey Fliper, you can keep your combo going as long as you want provided you don't do obvious cheese strategies to increase the combo. Basically natural combos are fine. As for the ice walls you can use them once... Maybe even twice but after that move on to the rest of the track :)

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing what you can do under these restrictions! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:11 am  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
I presume that any sort of combo building activity is banned... right? I think we can't do multiple board presses for seemingly no reason between jumps. Could you clarify this just to be sure?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:46 am  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
I would say you can do board presses as long as you are moving down the mountain while doing it. The thing we wanted to avoid with this challenge was stationary combo building, but if you are between jumps and want to do multiple board presses along the way feel free!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:11 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
SSX 3: Racing: #1SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1SSX 3: Overall: #1SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 8
  • Overall Best Players: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Showoff: #2
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #3
Yup, Rithek is right. The point of this is to keep runs continous, there shouldn't be any stationary sections or too much of going backwards, the run should flow naturally. I know it's a bit of a subjective way of saying it, but I do hope you understand it. Do ask if you have questions!

In other news, my run will be up ... now!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:15 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hi Rithek and 898ppp:

Here's my video: Happiness Jam SSX3 566,274 Points (Live Run Dedicated to 898ppp / Rithek--Challenge): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbMVbYKjjFo.

Now, here's my challenge for SSX3 gamers next week: Perpendiculous SSX3 5.2 M Point Challenge Using Twenty-One No-Boost X-X’s (Read Description): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-W_bTQwTmg.

Take care.

Best Wishes,
QuotidianPerfection

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:22 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
SSX 3: Racing: #1SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1SSX 3: Overall: #1SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
Hi QP:

This run is awesome and a great submission, and thank you for the dedication. Your path in this run is solid and you display your superb freestyling knowledge. It becomes even more impressive by the fact that you did us one better, you didn't even do any uber tricks, let alone monster tricks. This score is really quite good for a no uber tricks run!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:44 am  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hi 898ppp:

Thank you for your kind words! Now, I'm wondering if you are going to attempt my Perpendiculous run challenge to you (and others as well) for Week #3. The rules are outlined in the description to my YouTube link above (i.e., the second one).

Take care, and congratulations on your 5.31 M point Perpendiculous run!

Best Wishes,
QuotidianPerfection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:51 am  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Well, after having considered that challenge idea, I've concluded that it's pretty difficult and requires a lot of dedication. The point of these challenges are, among other things, to be "drop-in drop-out" and also to innovate the game in some way, to put restrictions or weird rulesets on runs. The idea has however been taken on board, and might be considered for a week where we're feeling sadistic and want to make a really difficult challenge.

I personally however could definitely attempt it, but I can't see it being an official weekly challenge for the #3 spot, it's simply too difficult.

Finally, thank you for congratulating me!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:09 am  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
I have to agree with 898ppp here, While your challenge surely is really challenging QP, part of the goal with the challenges we have come up with is to try and reach a broad range of players not just the top level ones. As for myself I know that I couldn't even get 5 mil on perp without these restrictions at this point let alone with them. So I don't see this being a challenge that we will use officially however that doesn't mean people cant try it out! I also really appreciate your enthusiasm for the idea of challenges and the work you have put into your run for this weeks challenge!

Just as a side note we want to to make the challenges easy to understand and do. This week was a bit more complicated compared to how I think we want them to be.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:03 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hi 898ppp and Rithek:

I apologize for the mistake. A while back ago, Dennis Landes, his brother, norskeltalenter10, fliper (YouTube's mskk001) and I participated in some really tough Challenges. While, in the end, someone always emerged as a winner, the objective for such contests entailed attempting to enhance the abilities of fellow SSX3 gamers. Afterward, the winner would evaluate the runs of everyone else, and make commentary pertinent to where improvements can be mistake. It seems, however, that the scope of the Weekly Challenges are far different than that of the YouTube Challenges.

How about this--another person can post the Challenge for Week #3? You can still partake in the Challenge if you are interested. I hope fliper reads my Challenge, too, and participates in it, as it is awesome to see what his score on Perpendiculous would be given his tremendous frame-cancelling skills.

Take care,
QP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
No biggie, QuotidianPerfection. As you see, the scope of this is different than getting the absolute best race times or trick scores.

If I can say it, another idea we had for this week was doing one of the freestyle tracks with no monster tricks, but also avoiding all multipliers. We thought about it a bit but it seemed like that would be almost too hard, since those events have multipliers everywhere. QuotidianPerfection, Kubi, fliper, or other viewers, what do you think about doing R&B/Style Mile/Kick Doubt, no Monster Tricks, and either No Multipliers allowed or No 10x Multipliers (that part was 898's idea)? To me, the point of these challenges is to play in a different way and come up with new strategies because of the limitations. No Multipliers changes things up the most, but again, they are everywhere. But 'No 10x allowed' might mean doing the exact same path seen in the world record runs but just avoiding the 10x multis. I don't do individual levels enough to know if that would be the case or not. I recorded a run of Style Mile without getting multipliers as a proof of concept. The unlisted video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOy-gyXR82k

But now, here is my first submission to Weekly Challenge 2, where I get a cool mil, pretty much on the dot:

Last edited by Edged boarder on Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:44 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hey QP, so 898ppp, Insetik, and I have been working together to come up with the ideas for the weekly challenges it just so happens that we decided I would post it this week. As of right now the three of us are basically the organizers of this challenge, but I’m sure we wouldn’t mind having more people help in deciding future challenges and such. We mostly talk about the challenges when I am streaming since that is generally the only time we are all in the same place together.

As for the differences in challenges, yes the challenges you used to have are undoubtedly harder. The most important part of our challenges is that they are fun to do. We also try to make our challenges step away from the normal way of playing the game and attempt to make players look at tracks and the game in general from a different perspective. These challenges are much less focused on improving our game play; however I can respect those kinds of challenges as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:05 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
I think the challenges should be fun, rather than hard. They should be designed so that literally anyone with a level 11 character can take part. If you make them too hard, you run the risk of the only valid submissions being from the very best players and the differences between their submissions would be very small, simply because meeting the requirements for the challenge is a challenge in itself. It should be about mastering the simple, quirky concepts. Also for this reason, I don't think a no-multiplier run would be fun.

Anyway, I'll have a shot tomorrow, I wonder how I'll do. I usually restart freestyle events because I mess up monster tricks, so I feel pretty confident about this. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:26 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hi All:

It looks like majority wins here. However, maybe we should set aside a Weekly Challenge out of the year that is extremely difficult. Nevertheless, if this proposal is rejected, too, I have no problem with it. I'm merely publicizing ideas and letting others choose what to do with them what they want.

Take care.

Best Wishes to All,
QuotidianPerfection

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:22 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
I have a 1,203,869 run recorded and uploading soon, just need to convert it from .vob to another format first (I use a Dazzle... I know). I need to find a good video converter first, it turns out that it was my converter that lowered the frame rate of my videos to what you see on YouTube. If you have any suggestions, please tell me! In the meantime, I will search by myself and try to get that video ready. :)

EDIT: Here it is! I think it looks much better, next step is getting the video quality up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:51 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hi Kubi:

Congratulations on a great run!

Best,
QP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:28 am  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Attempt number 2, with a better result of 1,378,607 points (and slightly better video quality, I think)!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:07 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Rithek is streaming the Weekly Challenge #2 RIGHT NOW! Get in here and enjoy some awesome gameplay! http://www.twitch.tv/rithek

Also, really solid run Kubi! A very good display of a non-MT run. Keep at it, I'm sure you can easily get over 1.6 M or better on this challenge. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:33 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
WOW! awesome runs guys! there many peoples participating ,this is very thrilling :woot and thak you Rithek for clarify for me, no MT's ,no abuse of the ice walls and no combo construction...right :thumbsup ! today I have time and I will produce my run!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:07 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnZixdk_-o

here's my run, sorry for the delay Bros :heh

QP, I will work at your perp challenge now buddy :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:32 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Hey there fliper,
Very nice run I am very glad to see you participating this week and with that run you have set yourself right at the top of the standings so far.

Current Standings:
Flipper - 1,692,479
898ppp - 1,566,936
Kubi - 1,378,607
Insetik47 - 1,063,448

Also updated the standings on my docs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jKq_5wl2KXy3e_uFxsOydOv0tQKHJVeGog3wmailPNs/edit#gid=553023238

I have been doing some attempts on this challenge but I haven't actually completed a run yet... maybe tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 am  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
thank you Rithek,i really apreciate this... yesterday when I was "training" before recording, I managed to score a 1.800 M, but unfortunately I could not repeat because I messed up on my penultimate jump (60 / 70K misses) but it was so much fun I have to admit, I hope to see your run soon ...

ps: you forgot QP's score? :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:45 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX 3 - Weekly Challenge #2  
Your run is awesome, Fliper, and I'm sure you'll get 1.8 M soon. Sounds like you're really close to doing just that. For the time being though, the competition is taking a little stop at 1.74 in the form of my brand new run!

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 42 posts ]  1, 2