Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:14 am  Post subject: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
Seeing that we have many players coming back to SSX recently which will undoubtedly bring more traffic to their new YouTube videos and get people interested in SSX 3, I though it would be nice to create a "How to SSX 3" or "SSX 3 for Dummies" kind of YouTube series. I think it would be a more accessible and up to date Knowledge Base. It would go over commonly used techniques in the following way:

• Name of technique and why it's used
  • How to perform it
  • Why it works
  • Examples of use in real master runs

Everything would be explained using two synchronised videos, a capture of SSX 3 and a video of my hands and controller, with slow motion where needed; along with my sexy narration and simple annotations to help explain everything.

I would like some help from the community to see if I've missed anything or if there is something that you, personally, would like me to include. What I would like to achieve is that any master run could be taken and fully described from start to finish using only the path taken, list of techniques used and tricks performed. I started working on a list and here is what I managed to come up with so far. The list is not in any particular order.

• Wired 180 trick
  • Tapping
  • AOSO and Frost lander
  • Frame cancelling
  • Commonly used wormholes
  • Wormhole 180 trick
  • Lodge glitch
  • Reset trick
  • Ways into freestyle events during peak races

I could possibly move onto detailed, run-specific tutorials for set goals (not world records, I'm not good enough to have a world record in everthing :lol); not even my records, just something I could put together without recording my hands for hours, like 1:35 on Metro City or 3.5 M on The Junction.

Please give me feedback about this and consider contributing video ideas!

Last edited by Kubi on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Tricky: Showoff: #2
  • SSX Tricky: Overall: #2
pretty neat idea :thumbsup

I don´t have any particular things I´d like to say regarding this, but I might come back to this thread sometime in the near future :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
9EDDY2 wrote:
pretty neat idea :thumbsup

I don´t have any particular things I´d like to say regarding this, but I might come back to this thread sometime in the near future :)

Thank you so much! Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:58 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
SSX 3: Showoff: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #1
exellent idea Kubi :thumbsup , you may also add the following, D-pad technique, FC to validate very harder MTS, nose press (showing the right way to use your fingers,and how to replace the index finger to thumb, alternating between "square" and "X" buttons for example) knockdowns ect ect. you have my full support, and can ask for any help if you want too

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:22 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
fliper wrote:
exellent idea Kubi :thumbsup , you may also add the following, D-pad technique, FC to validate very harder MTS, nose press (showing the right way to use your fingers,and how to replace the index finger to thumb, alternating between "square" and "X" buttons for example) knockdowns ect ect. you have my full support, and can ask for any help if you want too

Thank you for the support! The ideas will be taken into consideration and most likely done. I'd like to cover the basics first, though. I'd mainly like help with the ordering of videos.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:50 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
XBL: PeacefulJarl379
Add the smurphy trick and wormholes. They're the easy ones

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:57 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
PeacefulJarl379 wrote:
Add the smurphy trick and wormholes. They're the easy ones

Wormholes are already on the list. I'm not sure how I forgot the Smurphy trick, though. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:20 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
SSX 3: Racing: #1SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1SSX 3: Overall: #1SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 8
  • Overall Best Players: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Showoff: #2
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #3
How about spin first variants of MTs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:26 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
898ppp wrote:
How about spin first variants of MTs?

Are they better in any way?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:30 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
SSX 3: Racing: #1SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1SSX 3: Overall: #1SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 8
  • Overall Best Players: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Showoff: #2
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #3
Kubi wrote:

Well... yes and no. First of all they're important for bonus points for the very top scores and superpipe events (style bonus), but mostly because they provide an alternative, one that can be more comfortable and faster at times because of perference. I find that when given time to prepare for it, I can do an SF way faster than a spin last variant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
898ppp wrote:
Kubi wrote:

Well... yes and no. First of all they're important for bonus points for the very top scores and superpipe events (style bonus), but mostly because they provide an alternative, one that can be more comfortable and faster at times because of perference. I find that when given time to prepare for it, I can do an SF way faster than a spin last variant.

I could just make a video about monster tricks. Just like the wormhole video will talk about the best wormholes, the monster trick video would talk about the best monster tricks, when to do them (so how to prioritise AS over SA) and the spin first variants. Anything else?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
Hey there Kubi, I am really interested in seeing videos for these tricks. While I consider myself pretty good at SSX 3, I really don’t know how a lot of the tricks you have listed work since I mostly play without using glitches and wormholes by choice. You have my interest in these videos and I am more than happy to help in any way I can! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:30 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
Rithek wrote:
Hey there Kubi, I am really interested in seeing videos for these tricks. While I consider myself pretty good at SSX 3, I really don’t know how a lot of the tricks you have listed work since I mostly play without using glitches and wormholes by choice. You have my interest in these videos and I am more than happy to help in any way I can! :)

Thank you for your support. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
I have decided that my first video will be about wormholes. This is because it's a simple thing to explain, most of it concerning entering wormholes are resetting in the right place. The simplicity of it will allow me to experiment a bit with how I want the videos to turn out and create a frame to use in future videos. I just need to buy a tripod for my phone to be able to record my hands as I play, as well as an average microphone to record commentary (if people are going to use these videos as help, they need to be somewhat professional so my laptop mic won't do). My MTG standard deck takes priority, but I will purchase everything I need ASAP and get to work on the videos. Hope to hear your feedback! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
SSX 3: Showoff: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #1
Kubi wrote:
I have decided that my first video will be about wormholes. This is because it's a simple thing to explain, most of it concerning entering wormholes are resetting in the right place. The simplicity of it will allow me to experiment a bit with how I want the videos to turn out and create a frame to use in future videos. I just need to buy a tripod for my phone to be able to record my hands as I play, as well as an average microphone to record commentary (if people are going to use these videos as help, they need to be somewhat professional so my laptop mic won't do). My MTG standard deck takes priority, but I will purchase everything I need ASAP and get to work on the videos. Hope to hear your feedback! :)

GREAT IDEA! its a very nice way to beggin this work Kubi!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
This is actually a very good idea. I think it would hopefully atrract even more people to play ssx 3 "competitivley." I watched a detailed tutorial on how to play SF4 way back, and it seems like a cool idea.

The hands cam is also a very brilliant idea, it will make things easier to visualize.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
Hey Kubi,

I’d actually recommend (If you have the computer that can handle it and a controller for pc) to do these tutorials on an emulator. If you use OBS to record it, I can help you set up a controller overlay instead of a hand cam. This in my opinion will help illustrate the inputs much better than an actual hand cam by a lot. Setting up the overlay and obs is fairly easy and I can walk you through it but it really comes down to the controller and if you pc can run the emulator. Let me know if you would like to try this method for you video instead!

Rithek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:32 am  Post subject: Re: Guide to Mastering SSX 3  
Rithek wrote:
Hey Kubi,

I’d actually recommend (If you have the computer that can handle it and a controller for pc) to do these tutorials on an emulator. If you use OBS to record it, I can help you set up a controller overlay instead of a hand cam. This in my opinion will help illustrate the inputs much better than an actual hand cam by a lot. Setting up the overlay and obs is fairly easy and I can walk you through it but it really comes down to the controller and if you pc can run the emulator. Let me know if you would like to try this method for you video instead!

Rithek

It sounds like a good idea, but for some techniques, hand placement on the controller is important. However, recording the game itself on an emulator sounds like a good way to improve video quality. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to ask you if I need any help. :)

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]