Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:04 pm  Post subject: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
PSN: Emu90
The "Ten-Strikes" Bill S. 978

Congress is currently trying to pass a bill that prohibits media content [movies, games, music] on YouTube without a license, now this will severely impact the community, in that it prohibits game commentaries, montages, etc - it will end the days of Machinima, RoosterTeeth, and others that just want to help promote these games and have fun.

This is a very important bill that must be stopped in order to protect our rights to streaming OUR gameplay on the game WE purchased. The bill states that if an individual was to post copyrighted content more than 10 times, they will face jail time up to 5 YEARS. FIVE YEARS.

Full Article & petition:
http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=700.450896.5hVZPC&rd=1&t=1

This has nothing to do with SOPA. It's a whole new bill altogether which would hit the gamer communtiy real hard. Especially Merqury City with its SSX runs. If this bill becomes law, Gondee could be forced to put down all the runs.

The danger of this bill is that it might manage to slide to through Congress while the media and everybody is distracted by SOPA/PIPA.

Quote:
S. 978 is widely supported, and is much less controversial than other proposed technology laws in the news, such as the "Do Not Track" bill and the Protect IP Act. Numerous media outlets and publishing companies are supporting the bill, with no mainstream opposition reported by MAPLight.org.
- Examiner.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:36 am  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
Jeez, is there a petition or anything for this one like there is for SOPA?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 am  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi
They are going to far with all this bullshit! I could see if somehow we were using uploads to earn/gain a profit but for the most part the average uploader is not doing so. On youtube I've put up with music issue and let youtube put what they want on my runs, I've denied royalties from allowing banners to pop on my videos and now they want to threaten jail time for something that I do solely for fun generates them money? I just hope these claims has specifics that aren't going to punish people who have done nothing wrong, or at least a notice to remove videos first.

P.S. Gondee will need a PO box now to collect all the mail from master runs and score validity. :heh

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 am  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
PSN: LilG912912
CurryKingDH wrote:
Jeez, is there a petition or anything for this one like there is for SOPA?

Google have a petition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 pm  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
Hi All:

First and foremost, the bill has to be passed. If Congress passes the bill, then there are five factors which will cause Congress to think about repealing the "Ten Strikes Bill," namely, 1) the refusal of some Feds to comply with the edict; 2) the murder of individuals who try to convict crime organization members of failing to comply with this particular act; 3) the unintended effect of creating an atmosphere where mafia groups can thrive from establishing illegal gaming sites; 4) the CIA's decision to rid the United States of despotic people who attempt to deprive American citizens of their First Amendment rights; 5) the U.S. Supreme Court, whose conservative majority will rule against the dim-witted pinkos who crafted a bill that is contrary to the freedom of speech and expression, which is a guaranteed First Amendment right of all American citizens.

If the "Ten Strikes Bill" is enacted, individuals who violate this legal mandate might find sympathizers, even among Feds, who find the act moronic, and believe that their resources can better spent arresting violators of more serious ordinances.

Even if some individuals are apprehended, the Congress will think about repealing the "Ten Strikes Bill" once the mafia gets involved. The reasons are twofold: 1) anyone attempting to indict a mafia member on charges of violating the "Ten Strikes Bill" might "vanish" (be assassinated in a way that his or her body is completely destroyed), which will set the perpetrator free on the gounds that person does not have enough evidence against him or her, and 2) making gaming illegal will give mafia organizations great incentives to run illegal gaming internet sites, and attain a tremendous amount of money by doing so.

Perhaps the mafia will not be needed, since the CIA has a history of assassinating people whom they deem as troublemakers.

If all else fails, it is inevitable that, sooner or later, a sharp-minded attorney will challenge the constitutionality of the "Ten Strikes Bill," and win. The conservative majority in the Supreme Court (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/us/25roberts.html?pagewanted=all) will rescind that bill in a surpisingly short amount of time. This is also the method of battling the "Ten Strikes Bill" which I approve of, since, rather than advocating using violence against enforcers of a law, or condoning intentionally breaching a statute, this technique uses jurispudence to send this bill to the grave.

Remember, the USA is a great nation (and, I am proud to be born in the United States), but, let's not forget, whenever ultra-liberal Ayatollahs try to confiscate their constitutuents' freedoms, it is the governed's right to use the court system to correct the statues which they consider unscrupulous.

Take care, everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:29 am  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
PSN: crispncrunchy
Most interesting stuff, thx for posting this QP. My opinion on this is much the same as the SOPA drama.

I hope this falls over in the courts, I have read that Obama doesn't agree with the push. The traditional media corporations are starting their death throes.
Ultimately if this push continues successfully, content providers (Google et al) will more offshore ie: Russia and the US internet will be become controlled a la China.

Before this happens a lot of Govt websites will be hacked. We will witness the first internet war and we will all have to get much more savy about how we can avoid detection of what we consider non-criminal behaviour.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:35 pm  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
Hi crispncrunchy:

You're welcome--and thank you for your kind words!

I agree with your assessment of where the passage of the "Ten Strikes Bill" in America will lead.

As an aside, your appreciation in architecture--a form of art--illustrates why the "Ten Stikes Bill" must be discarded. The cruel irony of the situation is that some of the same individual musicians and / or musical producers who support this bill have, in the past, advanced musical skill and production by emulating 1) the best classical, jazz, country, and folk performers / groups which preceded them, and 2) the individuals which successfully produced these talented musicians' records and albums. By the same token, if architects never copied their predecessors' designs, then how can they improve upon them? Put succinctly, one has to have a fundamental appreciation of a given craft prior to improving its standards.

The peril of passing the bill into law is that it puts Americans in a situation where they cannot learn from history.

Take care, and good luck in your architectural endeavors!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:04 am  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
Copyright law as it stands is not applicable to 'influences' but 'replication' or 'duplication'. There has been that understanding in the past, I don't think the intent of the laws being promoted by US Congress and Senate are intended to change that situation. I hope!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:28 pm  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
Hi crispncrunchy:

I agree with your logic, but there is always "a slippery slope" to worry about. If this occurs, no one could use another's writing, music, or video for the purposes of reviewing it or using it in a research paper as a firsthand source. It looks that, if this bill passes, researchers and critics will go bankrupt. And, the most perturbing aspect of the "Ten Strikes Billl" is the following: it is being advanced at a time when researchers are using other's studies to find a cure for AIDS. In a recent issue of National Geographic, a one page notice alerted readers to the fact that cats infected with AIDS, when injected with fluids drawn from a jellyfish, might become immune to AIDS, although this hypothesis needs more research built on experiments performed by others to test this postulation. If the "Ten Strikes Bill" is allowed to flourish, scientific research predicated upon helping AIDS victims will be stymied, and many persons who could have been saved by this type of medical research will perish, simply because one might eventually noe be allowed to use another's work freely without being jailed. Also, could you imagine Siskel and Ebert giving two thumbs up to a movie which they are not permitted to show in their review? Here is how I feel about the irrational pinkos in this Congress who are advancing this bill--"they are walking on the fighting side of me." See Merle Haggard's "Fightin' Side of Me": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n552gP9X40.

Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:54 pm  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
Agreed, but it looks like the bill won't get up, so we can breathe a sigh of relief :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:24 pm  Post subject: Re: This bill might affect Merqury City!  
Hi crispycrunchy:

It looks like "common sense might prevail!" Anyway, I can't wait until tomorrow (i.e., January 23)--it will be my birthday, and I will turn thiry-six years old! If this "Ten Strikes Bill" is discarded, and never recycled, then it appears that I have received an early birthday gift. Hopefully, people are beginning to realize that innovation can only survive if it is given the chance to improve upon the standards of a former idea.

Take care.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]