Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:33 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: MistressWiggle
sparks wrote:
crispncrunchy wrote:
it is played by a bunch of pansies. Soccer player should be forced to watch AFL where they will see real men who only stay down when they are really hurt. Plus the refusal to employ technology to help referee decisions.

Interesting view, but to compare soccer (a relatively non-contact sport) to American Football in that way is a bit of a leap.

Don't know if you've ever followed Rugby Union or Rugby League?, but if we're talking about 'real men' (as much as I hate the 'macho' distinctions) then Rugby epitomises it in a nutshell.

NA, suggest starting threads devoted to single sports to avoid having to read through a potentialy bloated single page? Just a suggestion...

Thoughts on Torres then? £50 Million... good Moneyball signing or not?

Sparks

Hey Sparks, I thought I'd put it all in one thread, because I didn't know how many different types people would enjoy to talk about. Agreed you can't really compare Football to American Football, they're totally different sports entirely. I wouldn't even compare Rugby to American football.

And Torres? No. He's not prooved himself yet.
I always said three years ago Torres would end up playing in Blue. £35million was a good bid, but £50 was OTT, but unfortunately the only way we'd get him. Now for me, he's done nothing during and since the world cup last year. and whilst I did used to rate him as a player, I'm not sure whether he's suited to Chelsea's ways, however I will reserve judgement till the new season since now he's had all summer to train with them and partake in their Asian tour and stuff. I'm hoping he will come through for us this season, I really want him to do well there, he's happier there than Liverpool, because he has a chance to play in Europe (I don't think it's entirely for the money because give him his dues he doesn't mind flying easyjet. There's no airs and graces with him) Like 70% of UK football fans I just don't want Man united to win another season, but really it's somewhat boring only having two teams going at it, I wish Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and City would pull their fingers out and give us a good run for our money.

Unfortunately for Chelsea, we are run by a Russian, who unfortunately thinks he is the Dogs bollox, and does not seem to contemplate the fact that just because he pays for everything doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. There's no way Mike Wilkins should have been fired and there's too much shit between management and players going on in the dressing room at the moment which was what gave us such a crappy season, as well as players making the same mistakes and the sooner we get rid of Drogba the better. I'm particularly worried about having Villas Boas as a manager, he's too young and I reckon he's been bought in simply because he'll say Yes Abramovich, No Abramovich, let me wipe your ass Abramovich, I would have preferred Frank Rijkaard, but am glad we haven't been lumbered with Hiddink again. I still think that given the chance Mourinho, would have been the best manager for Chelsea, but he's not the type of person to stay at a club more than two three years really and like Ancelotti did a great job but was overshadowed by his high and mightyness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: crispncrunchy
sparks wrote:
Interesting view, but to compare soccer (a relatively non-contact sport) to American Football in that way is a bit of a leap.

Don't know if you've ever followed Rugby Union or Rugby League?, but if we're talking about 'real men' (as much as I hate the 'macho' distinctions) then Rugby epitomises it in a nutshell.

NA wrote:
Agreed you can't really compare Football to American Football, they're totally different sports entirely. I wouldn't even compare Rugby to American football.

Haha, I'm an Aussie and I forgot that American Football shares the same acronym as Australian Football League :lol :lol :lol Which is also relatively non-contact when compared to American Football. However there's no padding.

And yes Sparks being Australian I am also familiar with Rugby Union & Rugby League.

For those not familiar with Australian Football check these...

And this is what Football players need to emulate if I am really appreciate the game...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:25 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: sparkness08
NA wrote:
And Torres? No. He's not prooved himself yet.
I always said three years ago Torres would end up playing in Blue. £35million was a good bid, but £50 was OTT, but unfortunately the only way we'd get him. Now for me, he's done nothing during and since the world cup last year. and whilst I did used to rate him as a player, I'm not sure whether he's suited to Chelsea's ways, however I will reserve judgement till the new season since now he's had all summer to train with them and partake in their Asian tour and stuff. I'm hoping he will come through for us this season, I really want him to do well there, he's happier there than Liverpool, because he has a chance to play in Europe (I don't think it's entirely for the money because give him his dues he doesn't mind flying easyjet. There's no airs and graces with him) Like 70% of UK football fans I just don't want Man united to win another season, but really it's somewhat boring only having two teams going at it, I wish Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and City would pull their fingers out and give us a good run for our money.

Unfortunately for Chelsea, we are run by a Russian, who unfortunately thinks he is the Dogs bollox, and does not seem to contemplate the fact that just because he pays for everything doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. There's no way Mike Wilkins should have been fired and there's too much shit between management and players going on in the dressing room at the moment which was what gave us such a crappy season, as well as players making the same mistakes and the sooner we get rid of Drogba the better. I'm particularly worried about having Villas Boas as a manager, he's too young and I reckon he's been bought in simply because he'll say Yes Abramovich, No Abramovich, let me wipe your ass Abramovich, I would have preferred Frank Rijkaard, but am glad we haven't been lumbered with Hiddink again. I still think that given the chance Mourinho, would have been the best manager for Chelsea, but he's not the type of person to stay at a club more than two three years really and like Ancelotti did a great job but was overshadowed by his high and mightyness.

Good post. I never thought Torres would leave Liverpool. I've watched him since he came to Anfield (hello Red Sox fans!) and he's put on some awesome displays, BUT, when his head drops - that's his game over. It's almost as if he feels cheated when decisions don't go his way and quite often lets it get to him in the same way that Rooney used to (although the difference isn't agression like Rooney, it's a bit of a sulk and he throws the towel in). This always disapointed me when his head dropped. You can see it in Suarez to a smaller degree. Perhaps it's a striker thing..

I really don't know where £50M came from but I've got to say that I hope he gets his wish and wins something. If it had of been at Liverpool, he'd have gone down as a legend. However, he didn't do the fans much by way of loyalty so will be consigned to the ranks of 'great player' (not that hes probably bothered).... but legends eh? Dalglish in one word.....

Looking forward to next season!

https://ssx.ozmonet.com/user/275926760

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Big day in Australian sporting history Cadel Evans is set to win the Tour de France. Personally I have following le Tour since the 90s so I am over the moon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:59 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
crispncrunchy wrote:
Big day in Australian sporting history Cadel Evans is set to win the Tour de France. Personally I have following le Tour since the 90s so I am over the moon.

Think Tunes has been following the Tour De France too, it's not one for me but it's nice to see an Aussie win.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Thanks NA. Just finished watching the final and a Mark Cavendish won the Green Jersey a first for the British. Yay :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Was a good end for Cavendish.

For motor sport I've always been a fan of Moto GP and Superbikes because you can fall off and the racing tends to be closer, and watching events like the Isle of Man TT is just insane. But F1 up to the late 90's was pretty awesome too, and seems to be making a good comeback.

Also with the world cup just round the corner I've got to big up the Rugby boys, I watched a bit of American Football during my travels this year but It was just way too stop and start for me. (NHL did grab my attention though, dont ask who I was suporting, I might have to start a riot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: xmscott
I play golf like its my job. Not that great, never will be.

Stream : http://stream.spreadtheonavirus.com/livexm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:17 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
As far as motorsport goes, I've raced RC model planes since I was 8 with my father and grandfather. That gets way more intense than it may seem. The slowest class to race in averages about 95 mph. (153 kph.) and the fastest events can reach 180 mph (290 kph). The racing itself may not be as intense, but you get an enormous amount of pride from your planes (most of which are home-built) so there's a lot on the line every race you're in.

Fun stuff ;)

Last edited by MarcusAnnex on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
XBL: mahkraFUD
A Sick One With A Smile wrote:
and i used to do cheerleading for seven years. and i KNOW alot of people disagree that cheerleading is a sport. and those people are half right. the squads that only cheer for the higschool football or basketball teams; then yes cheering is not a sport at that point. but my squad cheered for the township football team on weekends but we mostly trained for county and state compitition. i have about 15 trophies from compititions over the years. so i consider this half of cheerleading to be a competing sport.

I did this for a couple years in high school; it's definitely a sport. We went to nationals @ Myrtle Beach my senior year. :)
(I'm the guy on the right in the back row.)

My favorite sport to play is ice hockey, though I haven't gotten to do much of it since college. I watch a pretty big variety of sports when I have time, but I don't really actively follow any of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Since the thread got revived.

I'll just leave this here......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
What was the significance of that game NA? European Football has like 400 different leagues, and the teams shift around between the leagues, and then there are tournaments between leagues /etc.... I never have a clue what sort of context there is around any individual match.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Basically in Europe every year we have the champions league, depending on what country you're from depends on how you qualify but it's basically the top teams of every European country. So you have the regulars, Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Bayern, Barca, Real, Inter Milan etc. Then some of the teams have to qualify as well. The Champions league is the trophy every top club in Europe wants to win. It's kind of more prestigious than the Premier league, or The Bundesliga etc. Barcelona have decimated this through various excellent playing and unfortunate "Refball" throughout the years.

But to sum up YESTERDAYS match.

Chelsea have done jack shit this season. Villas Boas was effectively useless and it didn't even look like Chelsea were going to QUALIFY for next years champions league, in fact we're fifth in the table at the moment with Liverpool, Newcastle and Blackburn to play, Newcastle, Tottenham and Arsenal with Manchester City and United are ahead of us at the moment. Chelsea eventually sacked Boas and in the NEXT MATCH against Napoli in the Champions league we SOMEHOW managed to win on Aggregate (Which is the sum total of every goal scored from both home and away matches with away goals counting more) We got beaten 3-1 away in the first leg and then on the second leg returning at home to Stamford bridge we managed to beat them 4-1 in what was up until yesterday the greatest come back ever.

Then we beat Benefica easily and drew Goliath.

Chelsea v Barcelona. We played the first match at home at Stamford bridge and it was ridiculous, Barcelona had obviously gone into that match thinking it was going to be an absolute walkover given the crapiness of how Chelsea were doing in the Premier League. We beat them 1-0 in a really tough match.

Then Yesterday comes. Bearing in mind UEFA are corrupt assholes; and that Madrid and Bayern Munich have yet to play (Their match is this evening) The only thing clear is that to make more money UEFA DO NOT WANT an all Spanish final, because no one else in any other country would bother to watch, once again it would be Real Madrid verses Barcelona. Given that Bayern won the first leg of their Semi final matches it was looking kind of thin.

Barcelona score in the beginning of the first half to bring aggregate equal then Terry gets sent off for Chelsea in the 37th minute. Terry's red card was deserved but in any other match it would have been a yellow; the ridiculousness is that the Referee DIDNT SEE IT, The Linesman told him, so shouldn't have been a red since the Ref didn't see, but thats neither here nor there, Chelsea down to 10 men.

2 Minutes later Iniesta scores putting Barca forward on Aggregate, before in the 43rd minute Ramieres from out of NO WHERE pulls another one back for Chelsea so on Aggregate it's 2-2 with Ramieres away goal counting more. So if it stayed like that Chelsea would still go through, we just had to "Park the bus" as it were and not let in another goal.

Second Half, Drogba does some stupid shit in the box, Messi goes over Barca get a penalty and Messi HITS THE CROSSBAR. Best player in the world can't score from 12 yeards. >> Chelsea continue to survive Drogba's getting pretty tired from carrying the weight of the game on him and so Di Matteo does what I (And every other Chelsea fan wanted) He subs on Torres. Torres has had a shit season since the world cup. Although I love him dearly and rate him as a player, maybe not worth the 50mil we spent buying him from Liverpool but what the hell. Torres does not score much these days, and the bets thing he could have done was score, nothing would have been better than TORRES SCORING.

Barca made the biggest mistake in the world at this point. 2 Minutes into injury time they ignored him and left him alone up front by himself just inside his own half. Barca go to score, Cole (I think) Kicks it out and it lands for Torres in his own half with no Barca defenders anywhere near him, and 2 minutes into injury time after scoring practically no goals all season he flicks it around the keeper and taps it in.

Mission accomplished. I'm telling you, the roof was blown off of the pub when that happened, and although IT MATTERS, if we lose to either Bayern or Real we still DEFIED THE ODDS all thanks to Torres. It was the most glorious moment I have ever witnessed in football.

Actually no. Messi's depressed sad face was the most glorious moment in football, and the annoyed female Barcelona fans ranting on tumblr about it afterwards hahahaha. Although we will ahve to go to the final without four of our best players because Terry got sent off and three others racked up too many yellow cards throughout the competition.

Hope this makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:47 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Wow, that was more context than I could've hoped for. :lol But I think it makes sense - your favorite team defied the odds & beat the best team in football (despite being down 1 man) to earn a spot in the Champions League finals. Did I get that right?

As for me, I'm a bit disappointed the Penguins were such complete garbage in the NHL playoffs. But I can share one exciting sport moment from the weekend -- Thorzain winning at Dreamhack in Stockholm. Here's a video (not mine -- I was watching from home in the US; I've never actually been to Europe) from the crowd:

EDIT:
It doesn't top Huk winning MLG last fall, though. This is footage from a "barcraft" in Montreal:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
XBL: PaRtYR0ck3r
American Football, Soccer, Track, Bascketball but I just play for fun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Uhhhh pretty much Mahkra :heh

We have Bayern in the final now after Real lost to them on penalties, dissapointing finish but two of the best semi finals for a while. It'll be an interesting final, although I think my other half (who is a Chelsea fan from North Germany) might kill himself if Chelsea lose to Bayern Munich.

Last edited by NA on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
I play squash like 4 times a week, unreal sport.

(As a side note: isn't it strange how Americans/Canadians call it sports and British People call is sport, yet Americans/Canadians call it math, but British people call it maths?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
I just watched the Mets get their first ever no-hitter. Truly epic as a long time Mets fan. There's been soooooo many times it's come sooooooo close and now it's finally happened.

50 years, over 8,000 games played, never been a no-hitter and now there is.

Quote:
NO-HAN! The streak is finally over.

After 8,019 regular season games spanning 50 years without a no-hitter in Mets history, Johan Santana tossed the Mets' first no-hitter Friday in a 8-0 win over the Cardinals. The Cy Young Award winning southpaw tossed 134 pitches in the effort.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7999246/new-york-mets-johan-santana-tosses-first-no-hitter-franchise-history

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
NA wrote:
Uhhhh pretty much Mahkra :heh

We have Bayern in the final now after Real lost to them on penalties, dissapointing finish but two of the best semi finals for a while. It'll be an interesting final, although I think my other half (who is a Chelsea fan from North Germany) might kill himself if Chelsea lose to Bayern Munich.

And we won this. I completely forgot to post in this thread. But we beat the Germans, as most of chat probably know when I appeared there drunk and ecstatic.

At home, ON PENALITIES. Sweet, sweet victory.

Euro 2012 starts next week. If people are watching who are you supporting? England have got a tough group and a shit team, so my money as usual is hopefully on the Germans. If Spain win again I will kill myself.

Even if they do have stupid sexy Torres.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:54 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: Veckodag
Group D can become interesting, but I don't think Sweden will make it. They'll have to get lucky. :shrug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Sweden and France will go through from our group. We've never beaten Sweden, France are undefeated and we're playing with half a squad. Belgium are cunts thanks to yesterday we're now also without Cahill, arguably our best defender, Lampard's out with an injury, Barry is also out, rooney is banned from the first two games cause in short he is a fucking idiot and Downing is a useless sack of shit, WHY HODGSON, WHY? NO GOALS NO ASSISTS FFFFFFFF- The only upside to everything is England's brave John Terry is playing and Rio has been told to get lost again resulting in him throwing more toys out of his pram. Lulz.

Thank fuck for Germany, although losing to Switzerland 5-3 does nothing to heed my fears, after the last world cup I really thought they had this one. Although if it comes down to penalites don't let Schweiny take it lulz.

Spain'll win for the second time running, ugh; that would suck so much. 2 Euros and 1 world cup in 3 years. Even with Torres I don't think I could bear it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
XBL: joejakt
I've been known to run 3 miles(5K) on golf courses (I do cross-country). I used to do basketball, but I quite out of spite because the coaches are idiots. So now I just play it for fun.
I'm not too good at cross-country, but I do consider myself pretty good at basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Portugal! I never expected them to reach the semis. Ronaldo has been fantastic lately. I hope England goes through against Italy :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:17 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
I hope England beat Italy. But then we will have to face the Germans, and my loyalty will be split.

Because if Germany lose to Greece this evening I will kill myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: Chocozuka
Sorry, i'm upping an old topic lol, but i enjoy football as well lol

If someone interested in, which team do you think will win the Champions League this year?
After Chelsea's difficult win last year against Barcelona, i think they won't get surprised again, only Bayern München can beat them in my opinion, but we still can see some surprises, with the Shaktar, or maybe Dortmund? (Would be a "semi" surprise if Dortmund go far, they really have a dream team these years)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 4 [ 92 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4