Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:29 pm  Post subject: Copyright Infringement  
I'm trying to form my opinion on Copyright law. I'm not a fan of knockoffs and plagiarism, yet I disagree with artists controlling where their content is played at all times. I'm also feel like there is something wrong with being able to "own" ideas, patterns and the like. Why should I have to pay to sing happy birthday on TV?

It may sound childish, but this whole copyright claims business on Youtube with silencing and removing songs and videos is becoming frustrating. How, exactly is the artist LOSING money when one uses an audio track for personal, non-profit uses? Hell, the artist isn't really losing anything if it's used for profit either.

Free publicity. For both Youtube and the artists. And yet they rip it down due to greed.

So, what's your stance on Copyright law, infringement and the like?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement  
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
There is money involved, therefore, it doesn't have to make sense or have a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement  
alpmaster wrote:
There is money involved, therefore, it doesn't have to make sense or have a reason.

I suppose I'll be quoting this, I only regret that I had not worded this sentence as well in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement  
PSN: crispncrunchy
It is not so much the artists, but the music industry fat cats.

Check this, published in my local paper http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/rock-stars-slam-disconnection-plan-for-pirates-20090907-fdtd.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
How, exactly is the artist LOSING money when one uses an audio track for personal, non-profit uses? Hell, the artist isn't really losing anything if it's used for profit either.

No, that's true, and I agree with you for the non-profit fan video stuff. But it's also unfair to the artist who's work is being stolen if the person stealing is making money off of it.

For example, I'm marketing head of a corporation. I put out an awesome commercial that has another person's song on it without permission, which is perfect for my product. My company makes $5 million from this commercial. Now, you're the artist, you see that your song helped this company make money off YOUR hard work and talent, but you haven't seen a dime. If you want to continue being able to do this for a living, you HAVE to get paid for your work or it's simply not worth it to put out further material.

Youtube's problem is two-fold 1) They are however indirectly profiting from people uploading their videos on the site and 2) They're owned by google, who are the big pockets people are shooting to loot when they sue Youtube. Anyone who puts their stuff on youtube is getting in that wagon even if they themselves are not profiting.

Do I think I should be sued if I used a song in a video game music video, not really. I made no money off of it. But I understand if someone does make money off it they should pay royalties.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 am  Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement  
Not that I actually think that my music is of any industry caliber, I only use copyleft protections like Creative Commons licenses for my music. People can use my music for any reason as long as they release their finished product with the same license. As a musician, I think copyright is just plain getting in the way of the creation of great music, especially in the electronic music genre. And I practice what I preach.

People always say that musicians will stop making music if they can't make money, but this is a ridiculous statement. Even if people can't make money off their music, people will still make music. Right now you can take any mid-end computer and a few mics with some mattresses on your walls and you have a solid music studio. If you want to make electronic music all you need is maybe a usb midi controller. In the midst of writing numerous papers and studying for at least 40 hours a week I was still able to churn out almost an hour and a half of music in four or five months.

In essence, people should be openly hostile towards copyright law. The idea of intellectual property is both vague and ridiculous. I recommend everyone read some Richard Stallman the inventor of GNU/Linux and one of the founders of copyleft protection, he is one of my personal heroes, and his essays are all over the internet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement  
No one has ever explained to me how one can own an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 am  Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement  
Lord Elevation wrote:
No one has ever explained to me how one can own an idea.

I dont even know if that is possible. I alway thougth you couldnt copyright something until it becomes tangible. I would also argue that its not infringement unless the good is being resold, but I can see how it may hurt the articts if there product is being handed off from one person to another. But you should be able to do with what you will with any media that you have brought, up to it being resold. But for some people Im shocked how that make it without getting into trouble with the law, like GIRL TALK, where all his music is just remixes of others song.

http://www.youtube.com/user/feedtheanimals?blend=1&ob=4

http://www.facebook.com/maverickeastart

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]