Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:35 pm  Post subject: Petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consumers  
PSN: SSXfanatic
So I'm not sure if sharing something like this on the SSX fansite would be entirely ordinary, although it definitely isn't an extraordinary breach and this definitely is a respectable cause.

For those who don't know, Tesla Motors is an all-electric car company that manufactures and sells a highly successful electric car, the Model S. Unlike other electric car companies, like the bankrupt Fisker Automotive or the liquidated Aptera Motors, Tesla is possibly the only current electric car company that is financially stable, having it's first profit in Q1 of this year and paying back a $400 million federal loan five years early. The website here speaks for itself.

Where Tesla is running into conflict is how it sells its vehicle. Instead of selling through dealerships, the car is sold online and delivered to the buyer. The NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) has lobbied against the company, and now state legislators have begun taking action to ban Tesla from selling the Model S in their state. Texas has managed to ban the company, North Carolina came very close, and next year New York will make a move to stop Tesla.

Currently, there is a whitehouse.gov petition at this link that, if it has 100,000 signatures by the 5th of July, the Obama Administration will make a statement about Tesla, possibly about States and the Commerce Clause. I'm not a huge political person, but I seriously approve what this company is doing. To sign you have to create a whitehouse.gov account and confirm through an email. Before signing, I advise you all to check out the company's website and see just how incredibly awesome they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:36 am  Post subject: Re: Petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consume  
Wait, why the hell are they all taking action to ban the company from selling the car?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consume  
PSN: SSXfanatic
Because they don't sell through dealerships, so dealers are lobbying state legislators to make laws that limit Tesla. You can't negotiate the price on a Model S, so dealers are arguing that dealerships "protect the consumer" even though I'm sure any person that's bought a car at a dealership thinks it's a hassle, and the dealers only want to protect their own paychecks.

It's about competition, but the fact is until Tesla comes out with a cheaper car, it's still a $75,000 ish electric car against dealership cars, though I'd consider a Tesla over any car given the choice. And THAT'S what's important.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consume  
PSN: Emu90
Fucking oil and car lobby trying to stop this awesome car. F*** em. Signing the petition now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consume  
XBL: joejakt
Free market capitalism is the best path to prosperity. Petition signed...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:58 am  Post subject: Re: Petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consume  
Thanks for the explanation. Lmao @ this so called "free market"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consume  
PSN: CurryBrace
I'm trying to sign it but I forgot my password and for some reason it's taking them forever to send me a new one.
EDIT: Signed. I've been wanting a Tesla for a while but I can't afford one. Oh well, better to have it available even if I can't buy it than banned because some Fat Cat in a suit wants to line his poolroom with Benjamins.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]