Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:27 pm  Post subject: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
XBL: ChaoticJ 202
PSN: Lunar_Nobis
as world news may have heard, a school in connecticut was in a mass shooting which even though it doesn't concern me, i can't help but feel disgusted that this happened :cry
here's a WIP article on KYM(Know Your Meme)
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/connecticut-school-massacre
a lot of the comments do show sympathy for families and friends, but there are assholes saying they don't give a shit or say "who da fuck cares!!",
anyways feel free to post anymore messages of love and respect and make sure others know....
my angry vent is over

EDIT: the image i posted earlier has been deleted finally due to i don't know how many downvotes by people

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:12 am  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Same thing happened in Scotland a few years ago in Dunblane. Andy Murray was actually a student there at the time of the shooting and is still to this day very secretive and emotional about it.

But this is what happens when anyone in America can buy a gun and the media report on the shooter like he's a frikking hero.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:19 am  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
This is the internet, of course you will be seeing people going "who the f*** cares"
My sympathies go out to the families.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 am  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
NA wrote:
But this is what happens when anyone in America can buy a gun and the media report on the shooter like he's a frikking hero.

yeah exactly, how many more shootings need to occur before the US revisits it's " right to bear arms ". but then again there have been many shootings in the past and the US government has done fuck all about them

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Salariedcat7507 wrote:
This is the internet, of course you will be seeing people going "who the f*** cares"
My sympathies go out to the families.
^ dat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
of course this is fucking awful and is a disappointment to humanity, but i gotta say, the shooter is getting everything he ever wanted with all this attention. i know he's dead now but, we're just giving him what he wants.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:36 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Hi All:

I feel troubled by the Sandy Hook, Connecticut shootings, chiefly because certain newcasters are trying to point to the shooter's autism as an important factor as to why he committed this crime. My concern is people who listen these media moguls might begin perceiving autistic individuals negatively, irrespective of what type of people they are. For the record, I, as an autistic person, condemn the shootings, and feel that the perpetrator, regardless of his past history, had no right to victimize innocent children. In fact, I reside in Sandy Hook, and live on the same street as a couple who lost their child in this senseless massacre. However, in order to protect the privacy of the victims, I will not reveal my address. I thank everyone for their input and support of the people affected by this horrific act, and hope that those who lost their loved ones will find a way to cope with this untimely tragedy. This will be my first and final statement on this issue. I offer my prayers to the families and friends of the deceased.

My condolences to the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims,
QuotidianPerfection

Last edited by QuotidianPerfection on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:26 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
PSN: Veckodag
Off topic:

If ya got some time, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect
Or watch this video: http://youtu.be/RVSAFhTjAdc
tl;dr:

On Topic:

My condolences to the friends and families of the victims and to the citizens of Sandy Hook, Connecticut.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
PSN: Equinoqs
I wouldn't get my hopes up on America doing anything substantial about our gun problem. Based on the interactions I've had since the shooting, I am one of the few gun owners in the U.S. who is demanding gun control - everyone else is bending over backwards & making excuses to show how gun control would not have stopped the shooter. The gun lobby here is very powerful and influential.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
PSN: Espionage720
Yea this has been all over the news lately... I'm truly amazed (not the good kind) at what this world is coming too. I can't even begin to comprehend what it is those poor families are going through. I send my deepest regards to the families and friends and pray they find the comfort/closure they need :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:29 am  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Considering I have no kids of my own, I've been taking this shooting very hard. I think my rantings on gun control are losing me friends on Facebook.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Equinoqs wrote:
Considering I have no kids of my own, I've been taking this shooting very hard. I think my rantings on gun control are losing me friends on Facebook.

The fact that you have the balls to say something makes you stand out though.

I mean I have NO TOLERANCE for anyone without common sense but they had this American guy living in London on 5live yesterday and the American woman he was arguing with made a very good point.

The 2nd Amendment was written 200 years ago, and the only real gun they had back then was a musket; you had to be only a few feet away, aim well and and even then you could wear a heavy coat and walk/crawl away. If the people that decided Americans had the 'right to bare arms' saw WHAT arms were like today I'm certain they'd be frigging horrified. People are using that law as an EXCUSE. 'It's our history' bollox. Which was exactly what this guy was saying. 'It's our heritage'

It's my heritage to invade countries, enslave black people and send them to work on sugar and cotton fields in Jamaica but I don't DO IT.

I just find it somewhat hypocritical that the Americans are quick to condem the middle east and state they live in the dark ages but then stand by a law this retarded. I realise the gun industry in America has 98,000 people employed and contributes something like 13 million to the economy, but I really wonder whether the parents of those children feel like it's worth it. *Shrug*

As to say, I'm English so really it's none of my business but as Obama said, you are the only 1st world industrialised country with these problems. I find it very odd that nothing seems to be done about it, and how something this horrific is defended by millions of people. It's like when people defend terrorism.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Hi All:

I personally know a Sandy Hook resident whose child attended Sandy Hook Elementary School. This particular youngster escaped fatality by hiding in a closet while a crazed gunman went on a murder-suicide rampage. Nevertheless, other students could not flee from the demented assassin, and, consequently, were slain. This, in turn, brought gun control the forefront of political debates, and pitted those who believe that responsible citizens have the constitutional right to bear arms against those who think that regular citizens--aside from those which belong to organizations whose job demands the protection of America's constituents, such as the police and the Armed Forces--should not be allowed to own firearms. Some United States citizens actually feel that, if the United States enacted strict gun control laws, the children who died in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings might still be alive today. Nevertheless, gun control, in my opinion, cannot prevent certain demented people from attaining guns. If someone is really intent of procuring a firearm, they will go through any lengths to purchase their weapon, even if its markup price on the black market proves quite expensive. Please remember, too, that the killer could just have easily built a homemade bomb, strapped it to himself, walked into the school, and detonated it. If this transpired, then it is probable that no one would survive, including the innocent children hiding in the closet. Hence, stringent control over firearms is not foolproof, and cannot prevent all school tragedies, as troubled individuals can use other weapons than guns to carry out their destructive plans.

My deepest sympathies to everyone affected by the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy,
QuotidianPerfection

Last edited by QuotidianPerfection on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Disclaimer: I don't like the idea of people owning guns for self defense just like I don't like the idea of people doing cocaine, or selling themselves into prostitution; I just defend people's right to do so.

Click to reveal hidden content: show
NA wrote:
The 2nd Amendment was written 200 years ago, and the only real gun they had back then was a musket; you had to be only a few feet away, aim well and and even then you could wear a heavy coat and walk/crawl away. If the people that decided Americans had the 'right to bare arms' saw WHAT arms were like today I'm certain they'd be frigging horrified.
I'm sure they would be horrified that the weapons citizens are allowed to use aren't more powerful. Here's why:

The 2nd Ammendment was written for the sole purpose of fighting back against the government. That means protecting ourselves from attack and the ability to overthrow the government. As it stands now, citizens have no defense from the predator drones, B-2's, tanks, or even basic U.S. infantry that are used. The right to bear arms was the law at the time because that's what the U.S. military had, and because of that. Since we've never had a revolt since the Civil War (again, almost exclusively using firearms) it hasn't been an issue.
NA wrote:
'It's our history' bollox. Which was exactly what this guy was saying. 'It's our heritage'

It's my heritage to invade countries, enslave black people and send them to work on sugar and cotton fields in Jamaica but I don't DO IT.
That's obviously an awful argument by him. The conspiracist in me wonders if he was put on the air because of that.
NA wrote:
I just find it somewhat hypocritical that the Americans are quick to condem the middle east and state they live in the dark ages but then stand by a law this retarded.
From what I've seen, the U.S. only condemns the Middle East because it attacked us. It has nothing to do with their laws.
NA wrote:
I realise the gun industry in America has 98,000 people employed and contributes something like 13 million to the economy, but I really wonder whether the parents of those children feel like it's worth it. *Shrug*
I've never heard that argument in my life, but it's pretty awful.
NA wrote:
I find it very odd that nothing seems to be done about it, and how something this horrific is defended by millions of people. It's like when people defend terrorism.
Just because one person on one side of an argument is a batshit crazy sociopath doesn't mean that side they're on is worse for it.

Also, what QP said.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:56 am  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
I really can't be bothered to argue on something that a: doesn't really affect me as such and b: makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I understand and respect your points Marcus, and I would like to thank you for sharing them with me. But I disagree with them completely and cannot get my head around such thinking. If I was going to debate with you over some of the points you have made it would just take me further and further into an argument that I don't really have the energy for. But as I said, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:42 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Well that's courteous of you, and you're welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
XBL: Deznere
I'm actually from CT, and my town was roughly.. 20 minutes from the place (driving.) I've even been to Newtown once, quiet town, know someone from there as well who states the same thing. Quite an unexpected turn of events for CT alone as this is the first school shooting we've had as far as I remember.

Media made many mistakes in this event for the ongoing week. Westboro made arrangements to possibly picket, they never showed but we easily had 13000, ready to counter protest as a human wall. A lot of support was given out to the families, especially Vicki Soto's family. She was from my town, I never knew her but the amount of people that went to her wake and funeral was absolutely astonishing.

The right to bear arms law, does in fact need changing whether it be stricter regulations and requirements from not only the bearer but from people that are easily going to have access to the firearm. A lot of things need to be addressed as guns alone aren't the only necessary weapon that can be used in this kind of situation.

Skype-XEShadowX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:33 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
in contradiction to my previous argument, it's not just about who buys guns but also the ease of access to get. people just don't lock them up leaving people to get them.
here in Canada (correct me if i'm wrong ) all of our firearms must be licensed and kept in 3 stage safes (pretty much a safe within a safe to keep bolts, ammo and guns separte each requiring a different key)

also the media isn't helping, they're trying to make the shooter look like an anti-hero instead of focusing on the victims and future shootings could be prevented, aaaaannnnnnddd the NRA is trying to blame videogames for causing the influence to do said shooting

and as for westboro church, ignore them they are just trolls and feed off the hate we give them, if we stop giving them attention they will stop(more or less)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:11 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
The U.S. will never outright ban guns, it just won't happen. But there have been 13 mass shootings here this year. There have been 24 mass shootings in the past 7 years, and 62 in the past 3 decades. 6 of the 12 worst mass shootings in U.S. history have taken place since 2007. We Americans hate to take statistics like this as 'meaningful'. They show any open mind, though, that guns are killing far too many CROWDS of people. Yes, people will still kill each other no matter what we do. Thay doesn't mean we need to keep making it easy for them. After every killing like Sandy Hook, Columbine, Aurora, Gabby Giffords, schools, malls, post offices, etc., the gun lobby in America whips its followers into a frenzy with scare tactics about liberals coming to take their guns. Thus, a sane conversation about limiting the availability of devices that simplify mass murder never takes place. Instead, after every one of these crimes, the U.S. gets dragged into fighting bitterly over the 2nd Amendment instead of addressing the issue of rising mass gun violence honestly. I've had too many friends tell me that the way to stop 20 elementary-school children from being shot by a crazed gunman is to make guns even more abundant. If one child in pre-school hits another child with a rock, you don't respond by giving every child their own rock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:31 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
XBL: twoskilld4U
Equinoqs wrote:
The U.S. will never outright ban guns, it just won't happen. But there have been 13 mass shootings here this year. There have been 24 mass shootings in the past 7 years, and 62 in the past 3 decades. 6 of the 12 worst mass shootings in U.S. history have taken place since 2007. We Americans hate to take statistics like this as 'meaningful'. They show any open mind, though, that guns are killing far too many CROWDS of people. Yes, people will still kill each other no matter what we do. Thay doesn't mean we need to keep making it easy for them. After every killing like Sandy Hook, Columbine, Aurora, Gabby Giffords, schools, malls, post offices, etc., the gun lobby in America whips its followers into a frenzy with scare tactics about liberals coming to take their guns. Thus, a sane conversation about limiting the availability of devices that simplify mass murder never takes place. Instead, after every one of these crimes, the U.S. gets dragged into fighting bitterly over the 2nd Amendment instead of addressing the issue of rising mass gun violence honestly. I've had too many friends tell me that the way to stop 20 elementary-school children from being shot by a crazed gunman is to make guns even more abundant. If one child in pre-school hits another child with a rock, you don't respond by giving every child their own rock.

That comparison is wrong for so many reasons I'll explain soon, ill just say, no you punish the child who threw a rock, but if that was a gun in this case, the victim would be dead, and you probably would be too before the kid was punished  but I just want to ask:

How many kids could have avoided death if the shooter was put down the moment he opened fire if not before? Without a gun, how will you stop a shooter?

Guns have saved more lives than you think, there are plenty of cases where shooters have been stopped that haven't made it to the main media.  

http://www.akdart.com/gun3.html

I'm not saying everyone should have a gun I'm saying someone either needs to act faster or come prepared. 

NA wrote:
Equinoqs wrote:

The fact that you have the balls to say something makes you stand out though.

I mean I have NO TOLERANCE for anyone without common sense but they had this American guy living in London on 5live yesterday and the American woman he was arguing with made a very good point.

The 2nd Amendment was written 200 years ago, and the only real gun they had back then was a musket; you had to be only a few feet away, aim well and and even then you could wear a heavy coat and walk/crawl away. If the people that decided Americans had the 'right to bare arms' saw WHAT arms were like today I'm certain they'd be frigging horrified. People are using that law as an EXCUSE. 'It's our history' bollox. Which was exactly what this guy was saying. 'It's our heritage'

I just find it somewhat hypocritical that the Americans are quick to condem the middle east and state they live in the dark ages but then stand by a law this retarded. I realise the gun industry in America has 98,000 people employed and contributes something like 13 million to the economy, but I really wonder whether the parents of those children feel like it's worth it. *Shrug*

As to say, I'm English so really it's none of my business but as Obama said, you are the only 1st world industrialised country with these problems. I find it very odd that nothing seems to be done about it, and how something this horrific is defended by millions of people. It's like when people defend terrorism.

Ok, I have to know, what would you do?

Is giving people the only possible way to defend themselves against other shooters really that "retarded"?

Would you "ban guns"? I don't think I'd need to explain why that wouldn't work. 

Also, didn't muskets destroy limbs and ricochet?Also did the Boston massacre not happen? Did the Pontiac's Rebellion school massacre not happen? There were mass shootings even then?

Oh but they couldn't predict the mass shootings we may have today... 

Unless i dunno maybe they did.

Is the reason for this right is to defend ourselves?

Maybe I'm just dumb and should stop talking. There has to be a reason why some people think that dropping your gun makes killers drop theirs. There has to be a reason they think we haven't tried several hundred times to remove weapons. I wouldn't know because I don't have common sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:08 am  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Why is it so abhorrent to even think about putting restrictions on those weapons that make mass murder so easy? Why does increasing the amount of said weapons sound at all logical to so many Americans? If these shootings were being perpetrated by foreigners, Americans would be screaming to take guns away from foreigners, not defending the foreigners' rights to weapons.

Assault weapons are not muskets. Gun controls on assault weapons is not banning all guns. This is no different than the belief of so many Americans that their entitlement to their own car is reason enough not to invest in mass transit or work on ways to reduce automobile pollution or even ride in the carpool lane. "It's my right, no matter the consequences on others".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:19 am  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Equinoqs wrote:
Why is it so abhorrent to even think about putting restrictions on those weapons that make mass murder so easy? Why does increasing the amount of said weapons sound at all logical to so many Americans? If these shootings were being perpetrated by foreigners, Americans would be screaming to take guns away from foreigners, not defending the foreigners' rights to weapons.

Assault weapons are not muskets. Gun controls on assault weapons is not banning all guns. This is no different than the belief of so many Americans that their entitlement to their own car is reason enough not to invest in mass transit or work on ways to reduce automobile pollution or even ride in the carpool lane.
 "It's my right, no matter the consequences on others".

1.  Because it doesn't do anything. Killers don't follow laws while killing. And the people making these weapons will just make more money.

2. There are cases where it HAS worked before. Attend to my link please.

3.  "It's my right, no matter the consequences on others".
 Not everyone on this side stands by this, to think so is both stupid and offensive. I'm sick of being generalized like this. If you can take the gun from the killer, go ahead, if you fail you're just taking guns from people who can save lives. That's all there is to it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:49 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
If you're sick of being 'generalized', then don't talk like every other person who seems to think that guns vs. guns is some kind of perfect balance, or that Hollywood has portrayed guns truthfully. Showdowns with guns in real life do not go the way they do in the movies, with the good guy shooting the bad guy. A gun vs. a gun hardly ever involves just the shooters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Who said anything about guns in movies?

I'm talking about things that have actually happened.

Stop replying to arguments i don't make. That's what i meant when i asked to stop being generalized.

Also what? i'm sorry, i had no idea we should stop shooters from killing people with our bare hands. Actually I think THATS more Hollywood then a shootout.

Can someone please tell me how to take out a shooter without a gun? Its kinda important to take him out you know? He is the guy that guarantees everyone's death if he ISN'T stopped.

Equinoqs wrote:
I wouldn't get my hopes up on America doing anything substantial about our gun problem. Based on the interactions I've had since the shooting, I am one of the few gun owners in the U.S. who is demanding gun control - everyone else is bending over backwards & making excuses to show how gun control would not have stopped the shooter. The gun lobby here is very powerful and influential.

Ok this has been bothering me, why are you a gun owner?

Edit2: NEVERMIND

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 pm  Post subject: Re: I honestly feel disgusted about this.....  
Sorry, i don't know why i'm being a dick to you, you haven't really done anything to me. I'm just bothered that im told that this side lacks "common sense" i guess when i see so many lives saved and-

i dunno

Guns dont kill people, people kill people, but guns make it way too fucking easy.

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  1, 2