Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:33 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 am  Post subject: Bands who change their style  
So this seems to be a reoccuring trend in the music industry lately; a band with a pretty good following will drastically change their style for various reasons: either to 'grow up' with their fans, be trendy, try to expand their fanbase, whatever.
I know I know, times change, you have to keep up with what's popular, blah blah blah, but how do you all feel about this?
Personally, I've had about 5 bands that I really liked completely change on me *linkinparkallamericanrejectsgoodcharlotte*. Everyone seems to be going dubstep/electronic now. I don't necessarily have a problem with dubstep but if you're a rock band, please stay a rock band to some degree. Obviously recording the same sound over and over again gets old and bands need to keep things fresh, but does EVERYONE have to use autotone now?
How about the rest of you, have any of your favorite bands completely dissapointed you lately? Do you like the direction in which music is headed?

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
pandapie wrote:
Have any of your favorite bands completely dissapointed you lately?
No.
pandapie wrote:
Do you like the direction in which music is headed?
Well, there'll always be new music coming out for each genre, so I don't really care what the current trend is, or what the trend will be a few years from now. There'll always be new music coming out that I like.

Click to reveal hidden content: show
Oh and it's autotune, not tone. Like how you tune a guitar, you change the pitch. It's like that; it automatically changes the pitch of a singers voice.

you probably knew this and it was just a typo though

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 am  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
My favourite band, Radiohead, are changing constatly and as a response to their popularity I think they're just intentionally trying to become weirder and weirder. Their latest, the King of Limbs, was very hard to listen to. It took me a few playthroughs to even be able to enjoy the album, and some of the songs I still don't get.

I used to really enjoy Muse, but now they sound like some ridiculous dubstep remix of a bad Queen song.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
PSN: MistressWiggle
flexxx wrote:
I used to really enjoy Muse, but now they sound like some ridiculous dubstep remix of a bad Queen song.

I opened this thread with a rant on Muse in mind........ but this says all of what my tl:dr rant would have pointed out. Bellamy is now known as Hudson's bitch to me. It sounds harsh but I blame them breaking into the American market and Stephanie Meyer for ruining them; they've got so much influence now from the states that the direction has changed ridiculously. I saw them recently and they played Sunburn for the first time in years and all I heard was the girl next to me going 'what song is this?' Neutron Star Collision is by far, their WORST song and possibly one of the worst songs I have every heard! Having said that; still the best band I've seen live.

Instead I'll moan about Sonata Arctica. Now I realise Jani wrote fuck all of their songs and only collaborated with Tony about his solos, but he left the band after Unia was released and the music went down hill. Not that I'm blaming anyone at all, I'm not. But when Days of Greys came out everyone was like omfg they're going back to their roots, this is great. I was just like .......................... seriously? The album was bad, recently I have got into No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart but aside from that song, Flag in the Ground and In The Dark, I just can't get that album at all. Recently I bought Stones Grow Her Name to give them a chance and make sure I wasn't over thinking things, but no; still unlistenable. These things happen it sucks but bands progress.

Jani released his own project Cain's Offering with Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius the same time Days of Greys came out, I think they were released within a month of each other, and yet his Cain's Offering album sounded like a Sonata Arctica album with Stratovarius vocals.

That said it's funny because when I listen to bands for the first time after they're released a good few albums I prefer their new stuff. I know The Savage Poetry was supposedly Edguy's best album but it's not a patch on Rocket Ride for me. But as bands become unlistenable new bands come about. I am SO pleased I discovered Serenity, The Magnificent, Edguy and Avantasia.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
XBL: WAffle3690
I hate when bands and musicians in general sell out. And by sell out I mean changing their style of music specifically for more money. It's greedy and I can't stand it. Not a fan but Taylor Swift is a prime example. It's rare to find bands who stay true to their personal style for the life of their career.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful for bands and musicians to explore and experiment for their fans or for they own interest but for the soul purpose of money is gross. I understand a lot of people get into music for the money but I like to see musicians that have that true passion for music, even when a majority of their fan base lessens and lessens over time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
flexxx wrote:

You know, I was actually going to mention Muse but I'm not very familiar with all of their work so I figured my opinion wouldn't be that valid lol.
But I have noticed a change in their current stuff from what I have heard. It's funny that you mention Queen; my brother was showing me one of Muse's newer songs one day (I don't remember which one) and our mom came in and was like "... is this Queen?" Hahaha.

I just don't get the whole dubstep craze :/

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
pandapie wrote:
flexxx wrote:

You know, I was actually going to mention Muse but I'm not very familiar with all of their work so I figured my opinion wouldn't be that valid lol.
But I have noticed a change in their current stuff from what I have heard. It's funny that you mention Queen; my brother was showing me one of Muse's newer songs one day (I don't remember which one) and our mom came in and was like "... is this Queen?" Hahaha.

They have changed ridiculously. Compare Citizen Erased or Bliss to The Resistance or MK Ultra and it's just like................ Where did it go wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
NA wrote:
pandapie wrote:
flexxx wrote:

They have changed ridiculously. Compare Citizen Erased or Bliss to The Resistance or MK Ultra and it's just like................ Where did it go wrong?

I actually like both Resistance and MK Ultra. But I HATE the new album. Also they cancelled their malmö show last week due to a broken leg.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Thrice are a band that has changed and they don't show any signs of becoming worse. If any of you remember their songs from SSX/Burnout, they've gone into some really alternative albums and now the last one just seems straight out rock but yet very different from any of their previous works. They started out as post-hardcore, really fast songs with lots of screaming, to another less heavy album, to one album that mixed styles (low tempo, then heavy riffs and screaming, etc), to another with 4 different themes, to another more based on organ/pianos than guitars, to the last one which is more straight forward rock.

It's amazing they've kept me so interested all this time. I still like their new work.

Most of the bands just fail though. Green Day... What's up with their last album? I could go on and on...

But in the end, I believe all bands can try and change their style. It's their music, not mine. But many times nearly everything's lost in the transition. And then I think, 'why?'. There isn't a need to have a reason to change as I said, but sometimes it reeks of selling out. Muse's music is becoming less and less interesting. I'm sick and tired of their latest single. Offspring have continued to have great songs, but Green Day clearly haven't. Keane are a bit different but still great, specially the last album. Metallica are good but not so great anymore to me.

Oh well... New bands and new love affairs keep appearing every day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:25 am  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
bakalhau wrote:
Thrice are a band that has changed and they don't show any signs of becoming worse. If any of you remember their songs from SSX/Burnout, they've gone into some really alternative albums and now the last one just seems straight out rock but yet very different from any of their previous works. They started out as post-hardcore, really fast songs with lots of screaming, to another less heavy album, to one album that mixed styles (low tempo, then heavy riffs and screaming, etc), to another with 4 different themes, to another more based on organ/pianos than guitars, to the last one which is more straight forward rock.

It's amazing they've kept me so interested all this time. I still like their new work.

Most of the bands just fail though. Green Day... What's up with their last album? I could go on and on...

But in the end, I believe all bands can try and change their style. It's their music, not mine. But many times nearly everything's lost in the transition. And then I think, 'why?'. There isn't a need to have a reason to change as I said, but sometimes it reeks of selling out. Muse's music is becoming less and less interesting. I'm sick and tired of their latest single. Offspring have continued to have great songs, but Green Day clearly haven't. Keane are a bit different but still great, specially the last album. Metallica are good but not so great anymore to me.

Oh well... New bands and new love affairs keep appearing every day.

I definitely agree; not all bands who change their style become awful. I personally think Creed's gotten better over the years, and even though they didn't change too much, I prefer Onerepublic's newer stuff too.

Green Day... they've changed lol. I made myself listen to 21st Century Breakdown a few times the entire way through one day, and it actually started to grow on me. They're definitely not a punk band anymore but they still have some newer songs I like. I haven't heard anything from Uno Dos or Tre but I haven't been hearing good things hahaha.

I've only heard a few Thrice songs but they have a cool sound :)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Bands who change their style  
flexxx wrote:
NA wrote:
pandapie wrote:

I actually like both Resistance and MK Ultra. But I HATE the new album. Also they cancelled their malmö show last week due to a broken leg.

I heard about that on Planet Rock. Sucks too cause despite the shit new album their tour has been fantastic, better than any other time I've seen them except Copenhagen. Obv.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]