Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:59 am  Post subject: Electric Guitars  
Im thinking of getting an electric guitar pretty soon, so i was wondering if any one here has one? And can any one recommend a decent starter guitar thats not too pricey?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:26 am  Post subject:   
PSN: Fzzy285
you can get the fender squier strat pack. a decent starter electric, a 15 watt 10 inch fender amp, tuner, book, strap, set of extra strings and a few picks. bout $450. its what i started with, nothing amazing but a good starter thing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:21 am  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:49 pm  Post subject:   
WORD? thaszhott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:45 pm  Post subject:   
You should start with an acoustic...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:38 am  Post subject:   
PSN: Jamescorpio
Depends on your budget.
Squier do a decent strat (same blueprints, decent electrics, bit of shaving on costs in materials. made in Mexico under licence).
You may also get a decent tele or Gibson SG copy for your money. Decent electrics and neck engineering are what you want to be paying the majority of your money on.

I'd say try several 'real' ones out on a good all-round amp of about 50Watts to find the kind of sound you want (Some have a more generic sound than others. Go for an all-rounder if you want to experiment and cover all styles ie don't buy a tele if you occasionally want to break out some AC/DC!) then find a copy that comes closest in tone and feel.

Having a big amp isn't necessary. Hell I used to gig with a 30W Marshall which was fine for a small stage. Again you don't need a fancy amp if you're on a budget as you can pick up a couple of fx pedals cheaply (buy boss ones if you can or a zoom 505 for cheap kicks). 30W is a good size to start at. My amp barely goes above mk3 in my room as its brutally loud. A good 30w will still make the windows rattle in a satisfyingly anti-social way. Don't be afraid of buying second hand if you have a friendly local dealer.

End of it is you'll know the guitar you want instinctively... Good luck.

Jim
Gibson Les Paul in honeyburst :drool
Fender Strat in 3 tone sunburst
100W Marshall DFX
:rock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:05 am  Post subject:   
I decided to buy an electric guitar this summer, and I didn't wanna spend huge amounts of money since I can't play guitar.

I bought something called the Squier Metal Pack which is cheaper than the Strat Pack, you get a Showmaster guitar, a 15W amp and some exrtra stuff like plectrums, strap and a beginners guitar book.

I'm sure anyone with any knowledge of guitars would frown at my ppurchase but I'm having fun with it, and if I wanna buy a new amp at least I have a guitar, and if I wanna buy a new guitar at aleastI have an amp. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:16 am  Post subject:   
Thanks jim and Flexx :cheers

i have been leaning towards a les paul but Gibson ones are out of my budget, however Epiphone/Vintage do some nicely priced models.

These are two i have in mind.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop ... t_id/16643

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop ... t_id/14145

Also im guna go down to my local guitar shop and see what they have going second hand, since my mate got a cort x6 series for £150.

As for the amp i would probably try and get the amp that comes with the squier starter pack from ebay or something since its cheap and cheerful :yes

Iv already been playin acoustic for a few months now.
But its a common misconception that you should start on acoustic, yes it will develop your finger strength, but if your thinking of moving on to electric it doesn't really matter where you start.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:28 am  Post subject:   
I started with the electric guitar and bought an acoustic one later on.. I'd say the electric one is even easier to play (the strings are on a lower level)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:35 pm  Post subject:   
If you buy a guitar, please invest in lessons... and you know, try to do something original with it... write some music, don't just try to learn other people's songs...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 pm  Post subject:   
Some sort of expert are we?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:46 pm  Post subject:   
Well, I don't know, I think I'm just sour that in my Music 12 class at my school, I pretty much only hear the same three songs played CONSTANTLY, Crazy Train, Smoke on the Water, and Stay Together for the Kids... It gets on my nerves...

Don't take up the guitar to think, imagine how cool I'd be if I could play "this"... do it for the expansion of your musicianship... Learn some theory too... theory is mathematical respect...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 pm  Post subject:   
You do know i already play right? and i do know more theory than i can actually play well. An yeah i can imagine hearing those 3 songs would get on any ones nerves.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:40 pm  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
Not tryin to show off or anything, but I can play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the piano, saxophone, and guitar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:50 pm  Post subject:   
alpmaster wrote:
Not tryin to show off or anything, but I can play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the piano, saxophone, and guitar.

I hate it that you always have to make your voice heard when you're the best at something. Fine, you beat us all, so what?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:57 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: Jamescorpio
alpmaster wrote:

:heh

I can play Frere Jaques on my Disney piano flute. I can also fart in c minor... give it a minute...... *squeak*

Liking the vintage in tobacco-burst, or whatever it was. Buy dome good strings like ernie ball hybrids to go on it... (will stop trying to push my ideas at people at some point...sorry)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:35 pm  Post subject:   
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!... what are you evil people doing, advising this guy to buy Gibsons and Squiers?...oh my god!! lol

Gibsons are shoddily made and ridiculously overpriced because of the brand name and Squiers are just absolute s***...they sound awful and arent put together very well at all.

Now...Fenders are alright, especially the high end ones...theyre well made although their choice of tonewoods isnt great...but you have to consider one thing...almost all Fenders are fitted with single-coil pickups (these are what pick up the vibrations of the string and by use of electro-magnetism, produce an electric current that is sent to your amp). Single-coil pickups are squeeky and cause immense electrical 'noise' aka 'feedback' (buzzing in the background). If you plan to use distortion you need humbuckers (these look like two single-coils stuck together) as these cancel out feedback.

So quite simply...for blues/jazz/old rock you want to start with a nice single-coil equipped guitar thats cheap but well made...you could go for a Fender Strat but i have to say, the Yamaha Pacifica beats it all out (dont be fooled by the fact Yamaha arent known for their guitars)...However, for modern rock/metal/heavy metal/alternative you want something with humbuckers...this is where the market gets a bit diverse. Your best bet is probably an Epiphone if you want something cheap (because good humbuckers dont come cheap)...Epiphones are made to the same quality as Gibsons but they are at a much more reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:45 am  Post subject:   
Thanks mate :cheers

Im really in a pickle about what to get now. Since i dont want any guitar that is strat shaped, or a squier since every one has one already. I wanted a les paul design but my guitar teacher says there only good for solo's unless i buy high end gibson's.

So i guess ile buy a mandolin. Or failing that what ever is the most purdy when i next go the guitar shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:48 pm  Post subject:   
yeah...les pauls are far too pricey for what you get (youre best just staying away from gibsons)...plus they weigh an absolute tonne which is something you need to consider if youve never played standing up before.

if you want somethin similar looking to a les paul and youre willing to go up to the £300 mark then you can get yourself a good basic singlecut (les paul shape) Paul Reed Smith...theyre bloody good guitars for both rhythm and lead playing and sound good both clean and distorted...and anyway, i know what you mean about lots of people havin strats already...i was like that too but youve gotta get over it...those guitars are popular cause theyre good players...the only way to be unique is to find a one off guitar thats really good (which is a rare opportunity) like my maverick f-1 (sorry...had to sneak this pic in somehow ;P), to build your own or to get your own signature but afterall if this is youre first electric guitar you dont need somethin unique...playability comes before looks so i stand by what i said before...the Yamaha Pacifica is a brilliant first guitar :china

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:58 pm  Post subject:   
Thats a beauty of a guitar, are the tone and volume dials inset into the guitar? and like little rollers? if so thats shweet :yes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:36 am  Post subject:   
archie wrote:
Thats a beauty of a guitar, are the tone and volume dials inset into the guitar? and like little rollers? if so thats shweet :yes

yeah they are...i was lucky...its a limited edition and i got it cheap...only £500 :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:37 pm  Post subject:   
Well iv decided im guna either get a pacifica or squier, it depends on what i like best when i try them out on saturday =] thanks for the help guys :cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 pm  Post subject:   
trying them both out is sensible...

just a few more things for you to consider though...1. the pacifica is of higher build quality than any squier 2. it has two single-coil pickups and one humbucker (squiers have three single-coils)...having that humbucker in there really increases the flexibility of your tone 3. the squier strat is an old design with 21 frets, whereas the pacifica has 22 frets and 4. due to its super strat shape the pacifica has better access to the higher frets than any squier model does...

seriously...if you want one of the most playable electric guitars in the world, get the pacifica...in particular the PAC112J looks like the best deal. :china

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:37 am  Post subject:   
ok, if u have a really tight budget and want something dirt cheap but still a decent guitar, try getting a First Act...i know how gay it sounds, but i got my First Act guitar set (guitar, baby amp, strap, picks, tuner, instruction book) for like $125 at Wal-Mart like 4 years ago, and I'm still playing it to this day with my Silvertone amp. Even though i have a Silvertone guitar I still prefer my FA...

Oh, and by the way, Alp...not to be a hater or nuthin...but Twinkle Twinkle is way amateur...i can play that on the guitar in probly 5 different keys, on the piano, xylophone, recorder, and banjo...tell me u can play the intro to Paint It Black on more than one instrument, then I'll be impressed

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ]