Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:24 pm  Post subject: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Thanks for a brainstorming session between vix, bakalhau and I, we agreed that a larger online presence would help Merqurycity.com really reach the next level of becoming the SSX fan's online destination. You can mostly thank baka for convincing me to do this, as I didn't really see the need until he pointed out that the buildup to the next game was the perfect time to introduce a much wider web presence and really cement MerqCity to the world as the premiere SSX destination.

• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MerquryCity

I will be texting vix who will be updating our Twitter feed with my impressions from the SSX Community Day this week - so it's the perfect time to follow us on Twitter! I will be away from the site for most of my time there, as my phone doesn't show the web really well and I don't have a laptop. We also have our Twitter connected to our Facebook page (again, thank Baka on that one) so it will update both places.

• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/merqurycitydotcom

Bookmark that page on facebook, and more importantly - LIKE US ON FACEBOOK.

And on a final note:

• A new Merqury City index page will be created that will feature much more information and act as the headquarters of the site and of SSX!

This is another bakalhau idea, and he presented his case so well that I am convinced. The index page of Merqury City is in dire need of updating and also needs to be more of a headquarters for the site as a whole. Right now, it's really just kind of there - it doesn't really give a good representation of the site as a whole and also doesn't give a good impression of what we are all about. So it's time to change that. Over the next few months, I will create a brand new index page that features headlines of the SSX world, a list of updates to the site, and possibly content boxes that list things like the last several active topics on the forum, new Master Runs as well as the last several high scores on the scoreboard. The index will basically become a summary of the best parts of the site so that people will be encouraged to participate in the site instead of just seeing our cartoony index and thinking there isn't much more than some stale web page that are several years old (and horribly out of date).

The caveat here is that there isn't any infrastructure in place for this currently - so we'll have to build it from scratch, and that takes time. A couple months at least. My tentative goal will be 3 months, but the ultimate deadline will be a new index page by January 2012, when the new game comes out and people will start to flock to our site.

So, big changes on the way! Give us some feedback about what you think, like us on facebook and follow us on twitter, and also any ideas you might have for the index page! It's getting exciting around here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
XBL: WAffle3690
Fisting.

thats all i have to say from that conversation last night hahaha

but i'm glad to see the board is moving into the 21 century haha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
I fixed the URL in your sig Sick One - it needed some words on the end to work (sk=wall). :china

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
XBL: WAffle3690
Pretty sweet, thank you very much sir :china

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
I always thought the index page was crap, didn't I tell you? :heh If you need any help (design, coding, technical suggestions, testing, etc) just PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
PSN: CharmyDweeng
I liked you on Twitter and followed you on Facebook.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I have some ideas for the website to get people participating in our community, but maybe it's too earl for that since construction isn't even on the way. Great that you decided to do this, I wish I could help a bit more than just giving ideas.

^ I c wat u did there

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
I hope to have the twitter page themed by tonight at some point. I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
bakalhau wrote:
I have some ideas for the website to get people participating in our community, but maybe it's too earl for that since construction isn't even on the way. Great that you decided to do this, I wish I could help a bit more than just giving ideas.

No, by all means, post them now. I'm starting the brainstorming with our programmer, and we need to get all ideas on the table NOW while it's still in the planning stages. Making significant changes later usually costs more money. :)

Everyone - post things you can think of that you might want to see. Here's what I can see on our index in the future:

• Headlines of SSX news
  • List of site updates
  • Block for newest Master Runs
  • Block for newest Scoreboard scores
  • Block for newest Fan Art
  • Block for active chat participants
  • Block for Charmy's podcast (if he's still doing it) hosted by Merqurycity.com.
That's what I can get just off the top of my head. :) Anything else you guys can think of will just be icing on the cake. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Too bad I neither have Twitter nor Facebook accounts. Damn you kids, with your internets and Facebooks and color TV's. I may be able to talk some people into liking the facebook account. Does this mean a complete overhaul of the page, including the color scheme, logos, appearance and layout of the forums? Are you thinking about getting rid of any features or sections of the site?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Master Codfish
Who's your programmer?

What I thought about involves nothing more than a few posts in the Headlines of SSX News, not entirely new parts of the website that need to be known about right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Granola Hero wrote:
Does this mean a complete overhaul of the page, including the color scheme, logos, appearance and layout of the forums?

It makes the most sense to introduce a new forum theme to match whatever theme is created with the index, sure. So you can probably count on a new default forum theme when the new index is created.

Quote:
Are you thinking about getting rid of any features or sections of the site? Adding any new ones?

Not at the moment. The old web pages will probably not be highlighted as much, since their design sucks and it's horribly outdated in most cases. My plan is to highlight the best parts of the site, which is the Forum, Fan Art Gallery, Master Runs and Scoreboard.

baka wrote:
Who's your programmer?

He's an old school phpbb3 guy. He's the cream of the crop, and did the Master Runs and Scoreboard updates.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:13 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Master Codfish
But instead of not highlighting Enter SSX as much because it's outdated, why not revamp the section and add organized information to each game's page? It's as easy as assigning each game its own page, then writing about a) Characters b) Tracks c) General Information d) Music; etc. Most info is already compiled or readily available in-game and hell even I could write all that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Master Codfish
You could have main links on the home page for the most important titles in the series. Now I'm not sure which ones would be. SSX is barely played anymore, and SSX On Tour could be deemed not worthy of such thing, but let's say have a link to SSX, SSX Tricky, SSX3, SSX On Tour, SSX (2012) and Other Games.

In each game's main page we can probably have the same set of features to talk about, which would add consistency to them (something they don't have now for example).

Biggest exposure on the general page:

-General Info
-Tracks
-Characters and their in-game bio
-Music
-Merqury City FAQ
-Scoreboard Link (I'm saying it should also accessible through each game's page)
-Master Runs Link (same as above)

Lesser exposure (debatable):

-Associated forum section link
-A MC Review link
-Official Website link

Let me explain the MC Review idea. As the new big hub for all SSX, you can and should expect people to visit the site that DON'T own a specific game in the series. A Merqury City review would serve the general population, from purely a gamer's point of view, devoid of whatever external influences that could change the review score to something other than what we truly believe it deserves, while also presenting a more hardcore perspective on the game, how it handles community competition, and how good it is for it. Many websites do reviews, I think we should too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
PSN: CharmyDweeng
gondee wrote:
  • Block for Charmy's podcast (if he's still doing it) hosted by Merqurycity.com.

That would rock our worlds. Also, we are definitely still doing the show. Recording tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
gondee wrote:

Quote:
Are you thinking about getting rid of any features or sections of the site? Adding any new ones?

Not at the moment. The old web pages will probably not be highlighted as much, since their design sucks and it's horribly outdated in most cases. My plan is to highlight the best parts of the site, which is the Forum, Fan Art Gallery, Master Runs and Scoreboard.

would it be possible to take the contents of those old game sections and maybe rebuild them around the new theme to make everything more streamlined?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
How long before Merq gets its own psn and live account? :lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:33 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
I liked it on facebook but I don't have a twitter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:44 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
PSN: jonipooon
Super-excellent idea! It was really about time, g.. :heh

I like the idea of a totally new interface, aswell as new updated pages for each game. But I would hate to see the old classic pages like The Donut Zone disappear, so they should be preserved just for the sake of nostalgia. :china

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Liked on the facebook page, don't use twitter so I can't help on that.

I agree with Joni, I thinl the old'pages should be preserved, people still use them and with new fans trying to gather as much as they can on older games I think they would be useful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
hey that's super cool! i totally volunteer to help keep them up if you need the help! word!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
XBL: Kaavyn
I'm willing to volunteer also!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
dude Kav, i'm giving you like two weeks, then that pic needs to go. it freaks me out every time i see it! :heh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:53 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
NA wrote:
I agree with Joni, I thinl the old'pages should be preserved, people still use them and with new fans trying to gather as much as they can on older games I think they would be useful.

Yeah but maybe it could be made more streamlined and uniform. For example, SSX has the character page right there on the main menu, whereas that is hidden in 'Cool Stuff' on Tricky's page. And then Tricky has Fan Art in the main menu, while SSX's fan art is in the Donut Zone. It's not very consistent, and might be confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:04 am  Post subject: Re: Merqury City is now on Facebook and Twitter! (+ New Index!)  
XBL: Kaavyn
Tunes wrote:
dude Kav, i'm giving you like two weeks, then that pic needs to go. it freaks me out every time i see it! :heh

I was only going to keep it up until you guys arrived at Vancouver but if you want it up for two weeks... :lol

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 3 [ 63 posts ]  1, 2, 3