Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:33 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
RE Virus wrote:
The triple exclamation marks didn't convey a tone of sarcasm to you? Get better at internet sarcasm detection!

You'd already complained about this absurd thing once before. It wouldn't surprise me if you did it again. :poke

Quote:
No need for decimals in the non-best racing videos. It's when we push it to the limit that .5 vs .9 makes a big difference. If you don't wanna do it, fine, but consistency is not a valid excuse.

Consistency isn't an excuse - it's the reason. There is no simple or full-proof way to prove decimal times on an SSX3 video (I'm not going to slow the adding of videos down by trying to CSI all videos.) All time formats should be the same across the board, no special cases.

Quote:
Non-wh runs are not the same as clean, which is why a "(no wormhole)" label is more appropriate. Clean runs could be added and marked as "(clean)".

I'll think about it, if I have time I'll get around to it.

Quote:
I meant that you yourself could possibly add the Notes field, instead of having to pay for it. If you ask for the bg color option, ask for a "best in category" flag that you can set manually, so that each of scoreboard,no-wh,clean (i.e. not just scoreboard) can be given a HTML class name.

The notes field would require an addition to the database at the moment. This isn't editing HTML, where I can easily add something to a particular entry. Notes right now have to be added into the Title field which isn't the purpose of that field. It is a good addition, since I can see some notes sections like wormhole descriptions being too long for the Title field.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:56 am  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
gondee wrote:
There is no simple or full-proof way to prove decimal times on an SSX3 video (I'm not going to slow the adding of videos down by trying to CSI all videos.)

That's nonsense. Count the frames from the last second, divide by framerate, round down to the decimal. That is foolproof. But you don't need to do that work, since I already did it; it's in the filenames! 1 second is a huge difference in sub-2-minute runs. Are we the hardcore SSX gamers or not?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:37 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
If we're gonna do it for some, we do it for all of them. Consistency is important, as I mentioned above. If you're up for the position of CSI-ing all past master runs to add decimal points, that's fine, but I doubt you'd be willing. :no

I don't mind if you want to do it on file names. But I'm not going to update the scores on these movies to the decimal point when the game doesn't support it unless it's done for all of them, because it just slows the process down too much and I don't want to have to do the due diligence that's gonna require me to CSI all the videos. It's just a small benefit for a whole lot of hassle. And that's the end of that. :shrug

Okay, formal updating of the site for the Master Runs is complete. Index link is done, as well as updating the old MR section to point to the new Master Runs page.

EDIT: I've added all of the hot legend's master runs from his youtube page. Any other movies that should be added to the site?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Hi gondee:

Let me commend you on constructing a well-organized and detailed SSX Master Runs Section.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 pm  Post subject: Re: New Master Runs section coming soon!  
PSN: crispncrunchy
NOB's (supersonic0497 on YT) two SSX3 Clean vids!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TirXAsr0SQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaectp5OVo8
Should be in there
How about MadJO3's runs from his YT Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hinterholz08

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Yeah, I've been contemplating a "clean runs" section for each game if there are enough videos. It's easy enough to do now with this setup and I think there's enough material to warrant a clean category for each game, minus SSX.

The CSS class for the top scoring movies (ie. a different colored background for the top scoring movies in each category) has been added. I am going to go ahead with a "notes" field for individual movies, as well as a field to enter notes about a particular category. For example, a few paragraphs as the top of the "Clean Runs" categories explaining what constitutes a clean run. I think that will just about round out the Master Runs. :yes

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
For me its one of the most important educational parts of the site. A great job :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Great job Gondee !

Just some points:

- I can't believe that you kept my 1,847 M LT recorded with a numeric camera. Here is the YT link (recorded properly) if you absolutely want to put this video on the MR section: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1tivr32_kI (Btw, the author is me not MrChaos :heh )

- This is what I can see when I try to download the videos in SSX3 section: [hide]Image[/hide]

edit: useless | Click to reveal hidden content
I think NOB has many clean runs hosted on YT if you want to add some of them in the MR section: http://www.youtube.com/user/supersonic0497#g/u

I didn't see crisp's links 3 posts higher, sorry.

- I can re-upload my 4,519 M Junction run if you want.

- TAS run categorie ?

Last edited by Rastapo on Tue May 03, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:55 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Rastapo wrote:
Great job Gondee !

Just some points:

- I can't believe that you kept my 1,847 M LT recorded with a numeric camera. Here is the YT link (recorded properly) if you absolutely want to put this video on the MR section: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1tivr32_kI (Btw, the author is me not MrChaos :heh )

Thanks for that - anytime you see an error in these videos, let me know. I'll change it today.

Quote:
- This is what I can see when I try download the videos in SSX3 section: [hide]Image[/hide]

You should right click the link and select "Save Link As" and save the movie if you are using Firefox. It will auto-open in IE, but not other browsers.

Quote:
edit: useless | Click to reveal hidden content
I think NOB has many clean runs hosted on YT if you want to add some of them in the MR section: http://www.youtube.com/user/supersonic0497#g/u

I havn't see crisp's links 3 posts higher, sorry.

No worries, I appreciate the help. I should be adding some clean run categories in a few days after I compile all the "clean" movies available,

Quote:
- I can re-upload my 4,519 M Junction run if you want.

No need to unless you want to - youtube is good for me if it is good for you. :)

Quote:
- TAS run categorie ?

I've been mulling this over. I can see the good and bad sides of it. The good side is that it is an interesting category and the runs are amazing. The bad thing is that we'd be hosting videos that do not qualify for the scoreboard and it might seem like we are validating them as legitimate runs when they are really more like guides to optimal runs. What do you guys think? I'd really appreciate some feedback on this as right now I'm undecided.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:46 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
TAS videos could go in the Tutorial section, just a thought

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:35 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Overall Best Players: #1SSX Tricky: Overall: #1Overall Best Players: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 9
  • Overall Best Players: #1
  • SSX Tricky: Overall: #1
  • Overall Best Players: Racing: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #2
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #2
  • SSX (2012): Overall: #2
  • SSX Tricky: Showoff: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #3
  • Overall Best Players: Showoff: #3
XBL: SaneThe Legend
Hey, Nice job Gondee :D I have some ssx tricky top race clean times, if your adding them and i might be doing some ssx on tour Tutorial runs too. Here's some clean ssx tricky race videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSfET6QIvU Garibaldi clean race 2:35.48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7cneayUnc&feature=related Alaska clean race - 3:46.50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f5m5ydwoLk&feature=related Snowdearm clean race-1:52.04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtKzqX4pmeg&feature=related Merqury city Clean Race W/no teleporters-3:20.27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLSP9VRsht8&feature=related By Mad_Jo3 Mesablanca 2.02.33 clean

And There's others too

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:33 am  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi
gondee wrote:
RE Virus wrote:
Quote:
No need for decimals in the non-best racing videos. It's when we push it to the limit that .5 vs .9 makes a big difference. If you don't wanna do it, fine, but consistency is not a valid excuse.

Consistency isn't an excuse - it's the reason. There is no simple or full-proof way to prove decimal times on an SSX3 video (I'm not going to slow the adding of videos down by trying to CSI all videos.) All time formats should be the same across the board, no special cases.

This could be another issue to address while with EA. Hopefully they can put milliseconds in place if they aren't already planning to.

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:02 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Gravitude MVP
TAS as tutorials doesn't make sense, because much of it is near-impossible to do in normal runs.

TAS would have to be its own category, with a clear explanation of what TAS means at the top.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:25 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Quote:
TAS would have to be its own category, with a clear explanation of what TAS means at the top.

Right, but do you think it would be a good idea for us to host a category in the Master Runs for it?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:49 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Gravitude MVP
I think all the MRs should be categorized a bit better. E.g. current best runs for each type of run:

sb rules (default)
clean + no-wh runs
glitched runs [big (non-sb) whs, railglitch]
tas runs

and a generic beaten/outdone category so that people don't get overwhelmed with tons of videos when they just wanna see the best ones in each category.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:05 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
The current setup stays as it is because it's already done and I think it's fine the way it is. I'm also not hosting any rail glitch runs, because those don't need any legitimizing. I think that "trick" is the dumbest thing in SSX 3. TAS runs are on the fence, but given that they are so damn interesting, I am leaning towards hosting them once the "Notes" addition to the scoreboard is finished.

Quote:
and a generic beaten/outdone category so that people don't get overwhelmed with tons of videos when they just wanna see the best ones in each category.

This is exactly what the Master Runs are currently set up as. The top scoring single runs for any particular track is what comes up when you first enter any particular category (except the special categories like single track races or tutorial videos.) Then when you click the "Show All Movies" every movie listed comes up. I'm glad you came to the conclusion I did. :yes And the "best" runs for a track will be given a special CSS class to distinguish them even in the list of all movies for a given game.

I've also been thinking that maybe the design of the Master Runs general movie pages should be redone. Right now, it's TABLES TABLES TABLES galore. While it's all nice and organized, overall it gets to be very confusing when you have a huge category like SSX 3 (All) or SSX OT (All). The real question is, what sort of design should we go for? Should we emulate Youtube with one entry on each line?

There's also the Vimeo method of organizing, like this:

Though this version probably wouldn't be optimal since there is so much info on each entry of the Master Runs, it's still an option. We could put the more superfluous info in a mouseover/expand window if necessary. :yes

Are there examples of well-design, well-organized galleries online somewhere to put in for consideration?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:13 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Gravitude MVP
Quote:
This is exactly what the Master Runs are currently set up as. The top scoring single runs for any particular track is what comes up when you first enter any particular category (except the special categories like single track races or tutorial videos.) Then when you click the "Show All Movies" every movie listed comes up.

You're missing the point.... The top scoring runs yes, but not for the different categories, only for sb rules. Clean and no-wh should at least be there.

I don't see why not add railglitch runs in glitched category, as long as it's marked as such. The glitch sucks, but people want to see those runs too (see MRs topic for a recent example of someone requesting a RG video).

As for design, KISS. It's good as it is, just change the colors around and maybe add a fixed/static bg for each game.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:51 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
RE Virus wrote:
You're missing the point.... The top scoring runs yes, but not for the different categories, only for sb rules. Clean and no-wh should at least be there.

Clean categories will be coming in a week or two. Non-Wormhole I haven't decided yet.

Quote:
I don't see why not add railglitch runs in glitched category, as long as it's marked as such. The glitch sucks, but people want to see those runs too (see MRs topic for a recent example of someone requesting a RG video).

No, I've already made my mind up on this. Rail glitch in my opinion has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Someone can watch something on youtube, but I'm not legitimizing those runs (in whatever capacity you agree or don't agree it legitimizes them) by putting them in the Master Runs.

Quote:
As for design, KISS. It's good as it is, just change the colors around and maybe add a fixed/static bg for each game.

I was thinking there needed to be a little more distinguishment on the game categories to make it more obvious which game you're on, beyond different colored backgrounds. There also needs to be a place to put any description of special categories.

When you're in the middle of a long page of movies, like SSX OT (all), there is no visual heirarchy between one entry from another. It reminds me a little of the old Grav Bar, all fonts the same size and color, no differing font weights, etc to show exactly what the movie is. I'll probably change it since I would need to anyway to enter in the notes field for particular entries. The notes field can then be used for some other features you mentioned, like listing links to original postings of Master Runs on the board, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 am  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Personally I find the shades of grey and blue too close to the colours of the thumbnails, so yes I would go for a background that lets the thumbnails stand out. I also find the alignment of the tables gets odd to look at when a course name runs over 2 lines. I have always had difficulty scanning the lists, I don't think the course name is loud enough.

Personally I prefer the Youtube style more than rows and columns.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:30 am  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #3
I updated my Windows Media Player and for some reason everytime I try and view one of these videos, my browser crashes with an error message.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:29 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Which browser Ice?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:05 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
IceXtreme wrote:
I updated my Windows Media Player and for some reason everytime I try and view one of these videos, my browser crashes with an error message.

It depends on which browser you use and which settings you have on it. As always, that's why we provide the "Download" link if your files can't play using the embedded player. Building an online gallery using anything but flash video is always a hassle, and while we've managed to work out a lot of the kinks, I don't know if it's possible to work them all out, so thus we provide the download link.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #3
crispncrunchy wrote:
Which browser Ice?

Mozilla Firefox but yea it was an add-on not allowing it. It's fine now :yes

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:14 am  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
Cool :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:11 pm  Post subject: Re: NEW MASTER RUNS SECTION LIVE!  
crispncrunchy wrote:
Personally I find the shades of grey and blue too close to the colours of the thumbnails, so yes I would go for a background that lets the thumbnails stand out. I also find the alignment of the tables gets odd to look at when a course name runs over 2 lines. I have always had difficulty scanning the lists, I don't think the course name is loud enough.

Yeah, that's the primary problem I run into as well. The page just has no heirarchy to be able to tell what movie you're looking at when you are in the middle of a bunch of movies.

Quote:
Personally I prefer the Youtube style more than rows and columns.

I will play around with a couple of ideas and ask for everyone's opinions. If I do the "one entry a row" design, I will probably introduce pagination so that there are less entries per page.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 3 of 5 [ 104 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5