Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:41 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm  Post subject: Classic Game Recommendation  
XBL: The Stopdoor
PSN: Stopdoor
Heyo, so I just got into the new SSX, demoed enthralled me four days before release, never played an SSX game before (or snowboarding/sports games for that matter :V).

Now I'm all interested in the series history; so I'm thinking of grabbing at least one of the classic games. So I'm really looking for recommendations. I'm read SSX Tricky and SSX3 are highpoints, so between those is probably likely.

I own a 360 and a Wii so I can play original Xbox and Gamecube games, no PS2; is platform important at all?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:31 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
PSN: jonipooon
Well, welcome to the world of SSX. ;)

If you like the new SSX and want to try some highlights of the series I'd say you should go for SSX3. Tricky is generally considered to be the best character-wise but the controls are quite difficult and annoying for beginners. SSX3 is smooth, huge and epic and probably the most similar one to the new SSX in terms of gameplay. Plus, its backwards compatible on the 360. You won't be disappointed. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
Ok, I probably won't 'bump' this again, but really, no one else on an SSX forum has strong opinions on the classic games? Should I have posted on another board? Is this community not as active as I thought?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:24 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
I think everybody is playing the new game and at the moment most people don't care much about older games.
I would also recommendate SSX3.
I haven't played it in ages, but i have very fond memories of it.
But if you have played the new game, it is possible that you will be somewhat underwhelmed by SSX 3.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:09 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
PSN: jonipooon
^Erm, I'm absolutely sure SSX3 wont be a 'disappointment'. I'd expect it to be the other way around, IE overwhelming.

Stopdoor, the SSX general discussion is currenly not very active and everyone's posting in the forum section for the new game. We do have strong opinions on the classic games here, but remember - this is a forum and not a chat and it might sometimes take time before you get a reply.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
Ha ok, sorry, but really, it'd been 5 days. :V

I guess SSX3 is leaned toward; Tricky is mostly liked for nostalgia? I'll probably consider getting both because they're cheap anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
Hi there, welcome to the SSX fansite! Sorry for the late welcome. Like Joni mentioned, everyone is pumped with the new game - so not many of us check out other threads outside of the SSX (2012) forum. :P

Anyway, I'll totally recommend both Tricky and SSX 3, and if you can, get both. There like, super cheap in my local gamestop as well. If you don't mind getting them used, you could get them for about 2-5 bucks each. Really cheap, so worth it!

You'll probably fall in love with Tricky's style, character depth and fun factor. As for SSX 3, I think you'll find yourself playing more then you would have expected. And you'll love the features added in 3 as well! If you really want to get into the series history, play Tricky first, then 3. It will definitely help you view the changes of the series and how it 'grew up' over the years. Both of these games are amazing SSX classics, they are perfect in their own sense and are must plays in my opinion. If you liked the new SSX game, believe me, you'll LOVE the classics. They are loaded with fun<3

Cheers and happy gaming! :) :cheers

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Both SSX Tricky and 3 are worth it. I'd get them both if I were you. But if I had to choose one - Tricky. It's just so much different from 3 and SSX 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
Hmm, sounds good, I can only seem to find them each for around $15 though and I've been spending money a bit loosely, so I'm not sure if I'll pick them up entirely soon.

Praise sounds good though, I had alot of fun with classic Mortal Kombats last year so I'd be surprised if these disappointed me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
XBL: Omoikane x8
It should be noted that the original XBox release of SSX Tricky will not work on a 360. SSX3 should though. I don't know much about Wiis but it sounds like you should be able to run the Gamecube releases of both Tricky and 3 as long as you don't have one of the newer Wiis that aren't backwards compatibility.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:33 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
XBL: Evenger Ostro
PSN: Evenge_Ostro
Well, I'd also go for SSX3 if you got into it with the new one. Keep its age in mind though! So weaker visuals, controls are not as comfortable, etc.
I never tried Tricky myself so I will keep my mouth shut about that. It seems I only play (and crazily love) the odd numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:14 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
I'd get both Tricky and SSX 3, they may be part of the same series but they're very different from each other.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
Also, new question, is On Tour really that terrible?

Like, is there anything worth playing about it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
On tour isn't a bad game really, but it certainly isn't worthy of the 'SSX' in it. :no (IMO)
It's a whole new thing; a lot of things were added, a lot of things were taken away. I don't want to spoil much for you. But basically it's a different type of play, a lot of things added and changed from the past. It's an okay game, but it's nothing compare to the fun factor of Tricky and 3.

The soundtrack was awesome though, I'll tell you that much. I suggest trying out Tricky and 3 first, then if you want, move on to On Tour and judge the game for yourself. Some hardcore SSX fans like On Tour, but for the most part, it has a bad rep among the hardcore fans. I personally would like to think it doesn't exist lol.

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
PSN: SSXfanatic
Yeah, I bought On Tour for the Gamecube, only buy it if you want to board as the Nintendo characters.

Definitely get both SSX Tricky and 3, I know that Tricky is on GC along with 3, but you can play 3 on the 360.

Unfortunately, the original SSX back in 2000 is a PS2 exclusive. Everything in Tricky improves upon the old one, but if you can get a PS2, definitely try it out, it was a nice experience.

And DON'T get Blur. I don't care how many reviewers give it high marks because of the motion controls but DON'T BUY IT. It's a very poorly-developed game by EA Montreal and it only built on the disappointment that OT provided.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
PSN: deadshootme
I second wht everyine has said. Just don't get Blur.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:20 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
I would reccomend SSX3, lots of fond memories of that game. be warned though, it could take a while to get used to tricks again, as you have to wait for the trick to finish once you've let go of the grab, unlike ssx 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
XBL: MdX MaxX
Old thread is old, but I'll say that you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play some SSX Tricky.

Sure, it's harder because there's no spin/flip autocorrection, but IMO, SSX Tricky's physics are far superior to those of any game before 2012's SSX.

It's also just an amazing experience. The characters are so lively, the environments are insane, and the Ubers are some of the best out of any SSX game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:08 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
If SSX Blur is really out of your taste, I think EA Montreal should've shared it with Funimation/Madhouse and made it an anime series instead. :shrug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:55 am  Post subject: Re: Classic Game Recommendation  
XBL: dontrun letkill
PSN: fishsticks4u
I wanna be able to punch / shove people like in tricky!!!

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]