Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:58 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:09 am  Post subject: Locations  
PSN: jonipooon
In this thread we can discuss and speculate about the different locations where the game will take place.

So far we've been exposed to a Himalaya location, and hinted about an Antarctica location. What else do you think we might be seeing? Rocky mountains? The alps? Iceland? Kilimanjaro?

I'm thinking about that Himalaya track in the trailer, there seems to be marked red lights down the mountainside. Does that indicate that we might actually see some kind of old fashioned SSX courses in this game?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:08 am  Post subject: Re: Locations  
I assumed those were red flairs merely used for lighting, not lights wired in through the mountain.

My main concern is that we won't have any pipes, parks or rail gardens. Hell, if you check out the library of modern snow flicks today, half of them are urban rail & jib videos. (Reasons vary, but the two most obvious are popularity and the other being anyone can drive into a city and film rails, as opposed to renting a helicopter in Alaska.) I love big mountain riding, but I still hope they offer a varied array of riding and terrain, natural and man-made.

Completely off-topic, but was there an "Elise" painted onto the sides of one of the choppers?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 am  Post subject: Re: Locations  
PSN: KBABZ
Yup, Elise was easter egged onto the Chopper. Inside reference, or chopper's own tribute to his girlfriend?

I think the template that EA is using for this game is what we were offered on courses like Untracked, Happiness, Rutheless and The Throne, the latter two as a majority. I think it would be incredibly stupid game design if EA were to actually model their tracks exactly like how they appear in real life (like how Gran Turismo does for the Nurburgring) because there would be no design at all. But I am expecting them to do it like how SSX and Tricky explained the tracks, like Elysium Alps being in the European Alps, Garibaldi being in Canada, and Aloha Ice Jam being in Hawaii. That leaves the door open for trees you can grind, icy half-pipes, and naturally occuring big air jumps (which could be even bigger if you have the wind in your squirrel).

As for the red flares, I think they were actually there so that the riders could see where to go when they're boarding down a mountain in a snowstorm with zero visibility. Even though it's extreme, safety does come first, which is why he has the shoulder pads on in case any accidents happen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
Overall Best Players: #1SSX Tricky: Overall: #1Overall Best Players: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 9
  • Overall Best Players: #1
  • SSX Tricky: Overall: #1
  • Overall Best Players: Racing: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #2
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #2
  • SSX (2012): Overall: #2
  • SSX Tricky: Showoff: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #3
  • Overall Best Players: Showoff: #3
XBL: SaneThe Legend
Japan can good And also U.S.A., some theme parks and a super sized Pipedream and Scout - land places with castles and stuff. Also more. well check out some of my ssx art /Track drawings in the fan studio Also, i remember, try making a ssx track in a classroom but make it look real and fun at the same time, like grinding on pens,note books and riding on decks and also a music room grinding down the strings of a banjo or bouncing from drum to drum and going down an exzlaphone what ever you call that. :cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
Yup, Elise was easter egged onto the Chopper. Inside reference, or chopper's own tribute to his girlfriend?

Neither - I think it's a sign that they've removed all the old characters. Replaced the funny ones from the first games with more "extreme" guys this time around. If Elise is too off-the-wall, there's no way there are people like Moby or Kaori. :no

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:13 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
gondee wrote:
Quote:

Neither - I think it's a sign that they've removed all the old characters. Replaced the funny ones from the first games with more "extreme" guys this time around. If Elise is too off-the-wall, there's no way there are people like Moby or Kaori. :no

Even though today EA has asked us who are favorite characters are? :???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
I think they're second-guessing their design decisions after the huge ass uproar, or looking to placate fans. :yes We'll have to see. I think the Elise chopper thing was a clear sign this was a design decision to remove the characters - I can't really read that any other way.

As far as locations go - there will be no "single" mountain this time around. It's gonna be a series of tracks like Tricky. There may be a big race to race down on one of them, but all the events will not be on a single mountain ala SSX 3. They've already said it's a race to conquer peaks from all over the world.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
True, they could just be placating fans, but at least they're hearing us. (Them acting on our words will be something wholly other, though.)

I hope it's not just peaks, though. My thinking is probably too wishful, but I would love to see backcountry, technical steeps (as in the trailer), open powder bowls, super parks, urban settings, and some kooky indoor snowdome. If they don't have an array of locations, they're really pigeonholing themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
66jzmstr wrote:
I would love to see backcountry, technical steeps (as in the trailer), open powder bowls, super parks, urban settings, and some kooky indoor snowdome. If they don't have an array of locations, they're really pigeonholing themselves.

I think you'll get the first 3 on your list, and not the last 3. This is gonna be an outside, backcountry type game, at least judging by the initial trailer. Now, I hope I'm wrong, wrong, wrong. :lol

Now, on the characters front, the facebook page did post this:

Quote:
In case you missed the premiere trailer for SSX: Deadly Descents, check it out here. Watch it closely and think of the endless possibilities! Did you notice a couple of franchise characters that will be making a return?

So hopefully they will be making a return. I bow to you on this, jz. :china

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
It may be a new team, but they're not stupid. The established characters are obviously a big selling point, so they're not gonna remove them all.

I don't think the fans on average appreciated the CAC in SSX On Tour; in fact I think the lack of the SSX characters in the main mode was one of the biggest criticisms of SOT.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
RE Virus wrote:
It may be a new team, but they're not stupid. The established characters are obviously a big selling point, so they're not gonna remove them all.

I had (and still do really, until I see proof otherwise) my doubts about that. Having Elise on the helicopter tells me "This isn't your momma's SSX!" Taking out Elise for some dudebro named Chase seems right up the alley of the more serious SSX Modern Boardfare.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
I was hoping the team going around the world trying to conquer mountains were the SSX veterans. They are all all-stars by now, what else could they do, competing in silly races is far too easy for them. So why not take on the whole world? Form a team of SSX old schoolers, and see what they got. Maybe this is that all-star reunion Atomika talks about in Blur?

Could be a possibility, right? :D

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
XBL: funk189
PSN: funk_189
Back on topic...the majority of the locations are in the background of the stupid-ass presenters in Gondee's vid:

Alaska
Baffin Island
"Coastal" ...looks like California
Rocky Mountains
Andes
Patagonia
Antarctica
Kilimanjaro
The Alps
Scandinavia
...Possibly Russia?

Also not in the vid, are the Himilayas, and I would expect Japan and Australia to feature as well.

That's a lot of locations so it's looking like single tracks at each location.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
aceofspades89 wrote:
Back on topic...the majority of the locations are in the background of the stupid-ass presenters in Gondee's vid:

Alaska
Baffin Island
Rocky Mountains
Andes
Patagonia
Antarctica
Kilimanjaro
The Alps
Scandinavia
...Possibly Russia?

Also not in the vid, are the Himilayas, and I would expect Japan and Australia to feature as well.

Good call dude. I'm glad you spotted that and that vix posted that vid. Very useful. That seems about right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
aceofspades89 wrote:

Alaska
Baffin Island
Rocky Mountains
Andes
Patagonia
Antarctica
Kilimanjaro
The Alps
Scandinavia
...Possibly Russia?

Good eye, man! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
(Oh my gosh, I'm sorry for posting this! >.<' Posted on the wrong topic!)

SweetWildFlowers wrote:
I was hoping the team going around the world trying to conquer mountains were the SSX veterans. They are all all-stars by now, what else could they do, competing in silly races is far too easy for them. So why not take on the whole world? Form a team of SSX old schoolers, and see what they got. Maybe this is that all-star reunion Atomika talks about in Blur?

Could be a possibility, right? :D

Sorry, I need to apologize...yes, yes, back on topic. :|

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
Hey! New Zealand has some alps too, you know! What about us?!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:32 am  Post subject: Re: Locations  
gondee wrote:
RE Virus wrote:

I had (and still do really, until I see proof otherwise) my doubts about that. Having Elise on the helicopter tells me "This isn't your momma's SSX!" Taking out Elise for some dudebro named Chase seems right up the alley of the more serious SSX Modern Boardfare.

Or... Maybe it's actually a sign for the retarted ADHD generation in order to indicate that Elise is making a comeback.

I'm trying to trust EA this time, and it seems they ARE actually going to bring back some of our "favourite characters". Though they might just be asking this in order to figure out what kind of other easter eggs they'll insert into the game.

Old skool riders who would fit the new modern boardfare style of SSX:

- Elise
- Nate
- Jurgen
- Hiro
- Zoe
- JP
- Tyson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:35 am  Post subject: Re: Locations  
I always thought that Psymon would be a great fit for Deadly Descents, given his personality...:

Allegra: "WHAT?! You went boarding down a mountain with no oxygen in the middle of a snowstorm?! Are you crazy?!"
Mac: "It was Psymon's idea!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:40 am  Post subject: Re: Locations  
KBABZ wrote:
I always thought that Psymon would be a great fit for Deadly Descents, given his personality...:

Allegra: "WHAT?! You went boarding down a mountain with no oxygen in the middle of a snowstorm?! Are you crazy?!"
Mac: "It was Psymon's idea!"

Haha, you just gave me inspiration for a comic... :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 am  Post subject: Re: Locations  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
That Elise thing probably meant that the person jumping out of the helicopter fancies Elise...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
Classic Killa
  • SSX: Showoff: #2
I don't think the Elise chopper thing really indicates she wont be in the game. Wasn't Eddie on billboards in Tricky? [yeti]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
BlackDth wrote:
I don't think the Elise chopper thing really indicates she wont be in the game. Wasn't Eddie on billboards in Tricky? [yeti]

Everyone was on billboards in Tricky. And this isn't Tricky - it's Deadly Descents (accent on the Deadly). :lol But even then, I think you're right. I think a few of them will be back. They've said as much on their facebook page, and I'm inclined to agree.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Locations  
Didn't someone else say that they had no breathing problems in the previous SSX games, yet they need oxygen masks here? Well I got another on for ya: How is it that the riders can go into freezing temperatures in casual, or even styled, clothing? Or in the case of Elise in 3, next to nothing at all? Shouldn't they get frostbite or something?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:21 am  Post subject: Re: Locations  
KBABZ wrote:
Didn't someone else say that they had no breathing problems in the previous SSX games, yet they need oxygen masks here? Well I got another on for ya: How is it that the riders can go into freezing temperatures in casual, or even styled, clothing? Or in the case of Elise in 3, next to nothing at all? Shouldn't they get frostbite or something?

That's the thing. This time around its REALISTIC.

Fuck realism. :frusty

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 33 posts ]  1, 2