Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:00 am  Post subject: To those who don't care about the characters  
Gravitude MVP
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the SSX characters? Discuss non-character issues here.

The new style seems too "dark" for an SSX, but if they keep an SSX3-like control scheme and make it more competition-friendly than On Tour, then I'm all for it. Until the gameplay trailer is released, I'm reserving any judgment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:43 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
PSN: jonipooon
If they bring back some of the old characters the developers would've had to change the whole style and appearance of them, which would've ended with disaster (Take On Tour as an example). So I suggest scratch the old crew, for the sake of a smooth game experience.

Though, we need unique and believeable characters in order to achieve a smooth game experience. My hope is that EA will present a whole new set and cast of characters who suits the new approach of the SSX series. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:52 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
XBL: funk189
PSN: funk_189
Jonipoon wrote:
If they bring back some of the old characters the developers would've had to change the whole style and appearance of them, which would've ended with disaster (Take On Tour as an example). So I suggest scratch the old crew, for the sake of a smooth game experience.

Though, we need unique and believeable characters in order to achieve a smooth game experience. My hope is that EA will present a whole new set and cast of characters who suits the new approach of the SSX series. :)

Either that or lighten the tone of the game up a bit so that the classic characters do fit. I don't know about you guys but I have a slight suspicion that the trailer was actually a conceptual trailer, put out in order to gauge people's reactions to the new direction. I'm still hoping for now that the game is very early in development and they might actually change the tone considering the amount of hate they're getting on pretty much every gaming forum. I love the idea of being part of a team flying around the world trying to conquer all of the most dangerous mountains before everyone else. I don't even mind the fact that they've left the more formal, competitive style behind. But there's nothing stopping them from lightening the tone up, making it a bit more wacky and bringing back all the classic characters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:12 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
aceofspades89 wrote:
Either that or lighten the tone of the game up a bit so that the classic characters do fit. I don't know about you guys but I have a slight suspicion that the trailer was actually a conceptual trailer, put out in order to gauge people's reactions to the new direction. I'm still hoping for now that the game is very early in development and they might actually change the tone considering the amount of hate they're getting on pretty much every gaming forum. I love the idea of being part of a team flying around the world trying to conquer all of the most dangerous mountains before everyone else. I don't even mind the fact that they've left the more formal, competitive style behind. But there's nothing stopping them from lightening the tone up, making it a bit more wacky and bringing back all the classic characters.

+1

I completely agree. Between the "Hi, I am the crack baby of Gears of War and a Mountain Dew commercial" tone of the teaser as well as rumors of a trick stick/Flick It system (instead of shoulder buttons) for tricks, I'm more than a bit concerned at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:45 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Well if the controls are different I see myself not even bothering competing. I'm not exactly sure I have the time to anyway. Are we even getting a boost bar?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:17 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
PSN: KBABZ
It was called Adrenaline, actually, which to me sounds edgy enough for EA to include it. I'm actually hoping the 'level' that the teaser took place in was a later track, because if that was an early level then I'd be worried. In a franchise like SSX where all your environments are snowy mountains, the time of day can be critical to making the tracks feel different (Elysium Alps, Mesablanca, Mercury City Meltdown, Metro City Breakdown and Rutheless Ridge are all very good examples of this). But if this is an early level then I'm wondering how the later levels can be different from what the first level establishes (like how Peaks 2 and 3 expand on what Peak 1 had to offer. Avalanches became snowstorms, which became chunks of the level falling off).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:51 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
KBABZ wrote:
It was called Adrenaline, actually, which to me sounds edgy enough for EA to include it. I'm actually hoping the 'level' that the teaser took place in was a later track, because if that was an early level then I'd be worried. In a franchise like SSX where all your environments are snowy mountains, the time of day can be critical to making the tracks feel different (Elysium Alps, Mesablanca, Mercury City Meltdown, Metro City Breakdown and Rutheless Ridge are all very good examples of this). But if this is an early level then I'm wondering how the later levels can be different from what the first level establishes (like how Peaks 2 and 3 expand on what Peak 1 had to offer. Avalanches became snowstorms, which became chunks of the level falling off).

QUOTED FOR TROOF :cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:18 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
RE Virus wrote:
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the SSX characters? Discuss non-character issues here.

The game can work with generic characters - but characters play an important charm factor in hooking those people who aren't as high-score/competition based as you and I are. I know female members always cited the characters as one of their favorite things about the game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:19 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
I've always been a fan of the characters. The lack of character and characters and the crappy CAC in SoT just scratch the surface as to why I hated that game so much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:15 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
I don't care much for the specific characters from the past SSX games, but unlocking unique gear for characters with unique personalities was fun for me. If they made an entire new character list but they all had their own personalities and attitudes like in the past SSX games, then that's good enough for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
ChaosRacer2 wrote:
I don't care much for the specific characters from the past SSX games, but unlocking unique gear for characters with unique personalities was fun for me. If they made an entire new character list but they all had their own personalities and attitudes like in the past SSX games, then that's good enough for me.

I wonder what kind of unlockable gear we'll get in this game... Perhaps it'll be like "Congrats, you've unlocked gasmask number 57!" . :lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
Well it's better than "Contratulations, you unlocked generic beanie number 3,597!" in SSX 3.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:38 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
KBABZ wrote:
Well it's better than "Contratulations, you unlocked generic beanie number 3,597!" in SSX 3.

SSX 3 had some of the most amazing unlockable gear in video game history. And as far as I remember the beanies were for sale only, not something you'd win after a race.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
Jonipoon wrote:
SSX 3 had some of the most amazing unlockable gear in video game history.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
Yeah I know, but there were like 30 beanies, and then another "dumb tall" variant set as well.

I'd actually be up for this as a feature: An unlockable piece of clothing which we can customise however we like with art, maybe as a reward for game completion or buying all particular clothes in a set (say, buying all T-Shirts would unlock the Custom T-Shirt). It may also be feasible that we'd we'd have to purchase different equipment to unlock different parts of the mountain, say a gas mask for the top of the mountains and a Squirrel Suit for more cliff-orientated zones.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:29 am  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
Who care about the characters.
And the tracks.
It's about the gameplay and how it all steers and how realistic it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:16 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
It is definitely NOT about how realistic it is. That was never what SSX was about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:18 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
XBL: Evenger Ostro
PSN: Evenge_Ostro
They shouldn't call it SSX when they want to introduce a new style, it doesn't matter if dark or realistic or story-type. SSX established a colorful, crazy and arcade-ish brand for snowboard videogames and they shouldn't break that.
Either try another name or keep fundamental SSX things. If it's all about "dark story" and "mission based gameplay" they should have asked Radical Entertainment for Dark Summit 2 instead of going for an SSX that fits into the all-cool hardcore-gaming scene of today (whatever that actually is, I didn't come up with those words xD).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:42 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
I don't know where the story bit came from, or the mission based gameplay. Doesn't 3 kinda have that? Freeride Challenges, Races and whatnot? To me SSX was always about the ridiculous boarding, so I don't mind what the pill tastes like so long as I get the same buzz, if you know what I mean. We don't know how the game will play, what we'll do in it specifically, what story there is (if any outside the initial set up), and whatnot. To me, all we know from the Teaser is the art style and environment focus; that is more realistic, and complete danger.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:16 pm  Post subject: Re: To those who don't care about the characters  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
RE Virus wrote:
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the SSX characters?

Honestly? I'm way to attached to the characters, it'll be hard for me to play with out them.
But I'm 50-65% sure there will be some back, along with some new faces too.

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]