Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:38 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: mobe7
Boogie wrote:
keep in mind also they have been working on SSX 2012 since 2009, and we got a trailer at the end of 2010.
i don't think they would announce something so...quickly? i mean it's been a year and some weeks.

Depends what they're doing with it though. If they're having to build another engine again from scratch to make it then yeah we shouldn't expect anything too soon. Some studios do release pre rendered teaser trailers quite early just to let people know a game is in the pipeline. I think next year is more likely once the next gen dust has settled a bit. SSX isn't big enough a franchise to do battle with the sort of stuff we're going to see as launch titles. EA is in a ton of difficulty at the moment though. I really hope SSX survives.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
XBL: Kaavyn
I think they'll use Mountain Man again, I just hope they can make the tracks feel more like Tricky/3. Also make wingsuit riding it's own mode.

And hire Boogie to join the character design team, obviously. And hire me to do some test playing or somethingidkmaybejustconsideritplease.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: martymcflyy85
Kav wrote:
I think they'll use Mountain Man again, I just hope they can make the tracks feel more like Tricky/3..

I think one thing that could make a lot of difference is to bring back the paint marks on the snow. I'm not sure if that's what its called, but paint is what it looks like to me. An example is the top of the hill in this screenshot. I think that's something little that could go a long way towards making it feel more like the old games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX (2012): Showoff: #2
PSN: Pemdas82
martymcflyy85 wrote:
Kav wrote:
I think they'll use Mountain Man again, I just hope they can make the tracks feel more like Tricky/3..

I think one thing that could make a lot of difference is to bring back the paint marks on the snow. I'm not sure if that's what its called, but paint is what it looks like to me. An example is the top of the hill in this screenshot. I think that's something little that could go a long way towards making it feel more like the old games.

there are tons of jumps with paint marks on them in the current game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Pemdas82 wrote:
there are tons of jumps with paint marks on them in the current game.

I'm not talking about those glowing marks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Yeah, I suppose it doesn't make sense to ditch Mountain Man. That alone doesn't worry me, though. I think, looking at Africa and some of 3's tracks, there's a lot you can do with mountains. It's just about transforming the mountain with different elements and moments in order to create a unique feeling for each track. I could definitely see that type of thinking present in 2012, with the Himalayas having the Great Wall, Alaska having the pipeline, Africa BEING VOLCANIC, the massive dam jump in NZ, moments in some of the individual tracks, etc. Now they just have to do that for every track, and do it bigger. :devil

If they did have the resources to do it the old-fashioned way, I'd be over the moon, but there's still plenty of potential in using Mountain Man, so long as they find a good balance between quality and quantity that allows tracks to be more out of the box. I'd be fine with half the number of tracks we had in 2012 if it meant double the work on each track, or even a third/triple.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:35 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: ShoTheEmcee
I think the best thing they could do as far as track design, I would describe as

"Slightly. Less. Hazardous"

I like a lot of the aspects to the danger in the tracks, but Mt. Fuji is an example of a mountain that loses a lot of long term appeal (I haven't really gone back since I restarted playing 2012) because of stupid crevases.

If there were roughly double the tracks you could run through without the constant threat of needing to rewind, they could keep the same number of tracks as before.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: jonipooon
vix wrote:
kpardakhti wrote:
SSX has never failed

*coughontourcough*

*coughblurcough*

:lol :P

Vixie that made me lol bigtime. :lol

I really hope EA can make a SSX game that goes back to the original roots, with classic multiplayer mode so you can play with your friends at home. And there shouldn't be more than 30 tracks, so that every track will be totally unique and very well done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
I also want to see the game be a bit slower. Boosting was just ridiculously fast, and I hate that so many tracks can be completed in just a minute. Bring back SSX 3's speed and control. I like the SSX 2012 control scheme more (the classic control scheme, anyways).

Also I agree with citylights, I'm totally cool with 1/3 of the tracks if it means triple the amount of detail on each one. Some tracks were phenomenal in SSX 2012 but honestly in this case, less is really more. Most inspiration should come from SSX tricky and SSX 3 when developing these games, because those two were just absolute gems. SSX 2012 focused on the realism, now let SSX 2014 focus on the fun :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: TaysteChampion
Yeah, me and spooks were discussing earlier... The crevasses, they just ruin the game. And the fact we can't play on the same screen with our friend from when we were a kid. Too realistic. FAR too many tracks. If only there were less tracks... It's also much too fast, the adrenaline, the rush... they should definitely slow it down. Why even play? it's not fun.
Click to reveal hidden content: show
:troll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Perhaps you could elaborate on what you'd like to see in a sequel, Tayste? :) That would probably be more conducive to good discussion than disrespecting other posters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:20 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
I do not share these critisisms :D. We are all entitled to our own opinion and voice. This is the SSX 2012 forum so believe it or not you are occasionally going to stumble over people who have a passion.

In a sequel I would hope for more of the same, with extra features like replays and seperate WS tables. But I would hope some things will get smoothed out. First the control scheme. We should be able to remap the buttons, the game is not equal between classic and standard. For example oxygen and wingsuit is controlled by two different buttons in Classic but both are controlled by the same button on Standard. Oddly enough the grind edge function on classic behaves different to standard (see Bear Claw final rail for example). With Classic you do not spin in the air when controlling your character with the left stick, instead spins are controlled with the Dpad. This is such a massive advantage I might attempt to learn to play classic. For some reason I cannot remap the spinning to the dpad like how classic has it. Secondly and lastly fixing the rail glitches.

I hope the dev team will put a lot of heart into the next SSX and will do an amazing job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
XBL: N9NE FACEZ
PSN: N9NE_FACEZ
I actually like that there are alot of tracks i don't think the number is the problem, the balance between frustrating vs fun tracks is where the problem was and tbh it's the speed of the game that aggravated the issue. I'm not sure if the game is too fast or the controls just need to be slightly tighter overall so you can avoid the death drops more consistently.

To me the trick system needs to a big focus if there is a next game, the WOW factor is just missing from it on most tracks compared to watching the best race times. While i can appreciate when someone sets a super high score when watching the vid of the score the difference between say a 60m and a 110m score on the same track the majority of the time is that one is 5 minutes and the other 10 minutes as one person is going up the sides of the mountain more times than the other guy. I don't find that super exciting. I don't want monster tricks back but a more diverse trick system is needed and the tricks need to be slowed down so you actually appreciate them.

I also hope Hyper, Standard and Relaxed trick modes have their own loader boards as part of the drop selections when choosing trick events like separate wingsuit and non wingsuit leader boards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Jecked wrote:
I'm not sure if the game is too fast or the controls just need to be slightly tighter overall so you can avoid the death drops more consistently.

Practice makes perfect :yes

Jecked wrote:
To me the trick system needs to a big focus if there is a next game, the WOW factor is just missing from it on most tracks compared to watching the best race times. While i can appreciate when someone sets a super high score when watching the vid of the score the difference between say a 60m and a 110m score on the same track the majority of the time is that one is 5 minutes and the other 10 minutes as one person is going up the sides of the mountain more times than the other guy. I don't find that super exciting. I don't want monster tricks back but a more diverse trick system is needed and the tricks need to be slowed down so you actually appreciate them.

I think they might be able to come up with a system that has more variety gameplay wise and as a spectator.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
XBL: greatsinister
ill just keep playing this one until a new ones out :gameboy

or until they pull the plug on ridernet cause so few people actually play :glare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Quote:
The game is too slow, I want it to be faster.
Quote:
The game is too fast, I want it to be slower.
Quote:
The game isn't dangerous enough, I want it to have death pits.
Quote:
The game has too many death pits, I want it to be tame.
Quote:
The tricks are too easy, I want them to be harder.
Quote:
The tricks are to hard, I want them to be easier.
Quote:
The characters are too boring, I want them to be crazy.
Quote:
The characters are too crazy, I want them to be "normal."
Quote:
The tracks are too zany and over the top, I want them to be more realistic.
Quote:
The tracks are too realistic, I want them to be crazy.
Quote:
Split screen is old school, online is where it's at.
Quote:
Not everyone cares about online, I want to play with my bro on a couch.
Quote:
The controls are too loose, I want them tighter.
Quote:
The controls are too tight, I want them looser.

:heh

I've been thinking about making a sequel topic but this one is kind of going in that direction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
vix wrote:
Quote:
The game is too slow, I want it to be faster.
Quote:
The game is too fast, I want it to be slower.
Quote:
The game isn't dangerous enough, I want it to have death pits.
Quote:
The game has too many death pits, I want it to be tame.
Quote:
The tricks are too easy, I want them to be harder.
Quote:
The tricks are to hard, I want them to be easier.
Quote:
The characters are too boring, I want them to be crazy.
Quote:
The characters are too crazy, I want them to be "normal."
Quote:
The tracks are too zany and over the top, I want them to be more realistic.
Quote:
The tracks are too realistic, I want them to be crazy.
Quote:
Split screen is old school, online is where it's at.
Quote:
Not everyone cares about online, I want to play with my bro on a couch.
Quote:
The controls are too loose, I want them tighter.
Quote:
The controls are too tight, I want them looser.

I agree with half of this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
you really didn't have to quote it all. :poke :lol

---

Personally I would love a sequel on this gen but I kind of don't see it happening. And there's a part of me that doesn't think we're gonna get another game at all. It took so much on the dev's part to convince the higher ups that this game was even remotely worth it and I dunno. I wish for a new game cause 2012 was a great starting point to build on, but I just don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
I though SSX 2012 was successful for EA? I mean obviously it's no COD but didn't it have over 500k sales?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Kav wrote:
I though SSX 2012 was successful for EA? I mean obviously it's no COD but didn't it have over 500k sales?

It had over 1 mil sales as far as I've heard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: LIL-CRUZE-SJG
Kav wrote:

Salariedcat7507 wrote:
It had over 1 mil sales as far as I've heard.

If VG Chartz is to be believed (and they're usually off in many respects), the sales for both platforms combined did sell just over 1 million copies in it's first year. Not sure how accurate that is though, as EA usually kept the sales a secret for every SSX game.

Hmm. Two awards. Not bad for a relative lurker :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: jonipooon
Afro Thunder wrote:
Kav wrote:
Not sure how accurate that is though, as EA usually kept the sales a secret for every SSX game.

I still dont understand why they're doing this. The SSX series is definitely one of the best selling video game series with a total sale of at LEAST 5 million copies. The numbers are probably higher.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Jonipoon wrote:
Afro Thunder wrote:
Kav wrote:
Not sure how accurate that is though, as EA usually kept the sales a secret for every SSX game.

I still dont understand why they're doing this. The SSX series is definitely one of the best selling video game series with a total sale of at LEAST 5 million copies. The numbers are probably higher.

The first SSX actually bombed (i.e., the original release sold just under 1 mill). Tricky barely made over 1 mill, and that was because it went multi-platform. Sales for SSX and Tricky increased when 3 came out though. And 3 is said to have sold over 5 million by itself.

Those are only estimates, though. Nobody really knows how much every game sold (Though it's well known Blur was a nuclear bomb, selling just over 33,000 copies or so).

EDIT: Ok, according to a quick google search, both SSX and Tricky ended up bombing (with Tricky just clearing over a 1 mill total as I said earlier), But the sales started hovering between the 2-3 million mark when 3 was out. I guess the series could qualify as a "sleeper hit" if you will.

Last edited by Afro Thunder on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: new one - PM me
SSX is a middle-class brand as it is said in the VG industry. Number of copies sold is around 1 m... can't say more about it.

That thing said, i would love to see the announcement of SSX(2012) sequel with next-gen compatible features in the near future. E3 maybe? :shrug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Might be a bad Idea to do it this year. There's too much hype this year (Saints Row 4 and GTA V), plus with the whole SimCity thing that's happened, it would likely be too soon for EA to try to reach out to the masses again.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 4 [ 79 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4