Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:59 pm  Post subject: Why the hate?  
Been a massive fan of the SSX franchise since it appeared.
I bought a PS2 with the original SSX... (Loved it).
I then bought Tricky... (Loved it).
My ps2 broke....
SSX 3 was released....
SSX on tour was released....
I bought a new PS2, and SSX on tour.
I loved SSX on tour...
I bought SSX 3 after playing On Tour, and hated it!!!
And to this day I still can't get to grips with SSX3, and also till this day SSX on tour is my favourite ssx game.
I never understand why so many people hate On Tour. In my opinion, it's the Best SSX game out there!

Was missing out on SSX 3 before playing On Tour the reason I hate SSX 3 so much?

I also bought Blur on the WII, but I'm not gonna count that as an SSX game, because that was bad!

But yeah..... SSX On Tour WAS the best SSX Game!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
PSN: LilG912912
SSX on Tour is so ass..2nd worse SSX game behind Blur.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
XBL: Bildi
Actually, I thought On Tour was worse than Blur. Blur gave a tiny glimmer of hope that the franchise might move back to greatness by featuring characters in the campaign (as bastardised and voiceless as they were) and featuring SSX3 tracks.

And I thought Blur's soundtrack was really awesome - I bought the Junkie XL CD and will undoubtedly be putting the tunes into the new SSX.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
PSN: SSXfanatic
SSX3 was THE BEST game released in the franchise!!!

I can't see why you'd rather enjoy OT than 3. OT has the worst tricks, next to no voicing, no replay feature, and all of the characters were messed up in one way or another. Don't get me wrong, OT was enjoyable to a degree, but SSX3 had the best tricks, characters, tracks, customizations, music, atmosphere, and DJ.

Maybe that's just me. Still, I agree that 1 and 2 were good and that Blur is not an SSX game :lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:36 am  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
I don't feel like explaining why OT is not that good. SSX Tricky/SSX 3 is best to me. If you want me to explain why OT is not good, I will be very blunt about it lol..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
It must just be me then!
I liked the open track, where you're boarding with newbs...
I liked the Slow mo monster tricks (I know many don't)...
I liked the freedom of the tracks (too many out of bounds during ssx3)...
I liked the customized character (even though you could play as Mac, moby etc)...
I liked the soundtrack (but I love every ssx soundtrack)...
I liked the courses(Jumping over houses, Jumping off a dam.... just simply better courses)

Maybe it's just me,
I suppose it's each to their own, maybe if I had bought SSX3 before On Tour I'd have the same opinion.

But I Frickin' love on tour!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
It's just you and maybe three other people in the world. :P :lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:13 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
XBL: Bildi
On the upside duckstar, you got great value and enjoyment out of On Tour, while we all wasted out money on it. Sounds like you got the better deal. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi
On Tour Pros:
Had merqury city board
Had Milliseconds (good for race events with 2-5 ways ties like SSX3)

On Tour Cons:

No online (anti evolutionary)
Character were butchered
No Replay
Rubberband AI
Race and Trick events had to do 2-3 times to get total time and score. (pain in the but for leader boards)
Speed blur
No Campaign Mode except for CaC
Didn't saved times, or scores
Napoleon Dynamite designs and themes through out the game. Loading screens, bios, etc...
Skii's (but thats a personally opinion) nothing worse than landing BS with skii's looking speed momentum.

I'm sure there are more but I haven't played it in 5 or so years. :shrug

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
IMO,

On Tour Pros:

- Good story mode (rising up to be #1 on leaderboards).
- All characters go mega fast when they use the boost. Speed Blur is w/e to me.
- All characters have like the same stats like SSX 3.
- Decent soundtrack.
- Challenging Als.
- Free roam.

On Tour Cons:

- Some of the characters concept in On Tour looks messed up. Especially Elise...
- All characters' personalities is so terrible except Zoe, Zoe is like the only character that didn't change at all.
- No character interaction towards the other riders, seems like everyone is a rival to everyone.
- Crappy graphics.
- No replay.
- The drawings and shiz on the character select screen or map screen is so crappy.
- Everyone have the same monster tricks. It's so very repetitive and boring as hell.
- During story mode, race and trick events can be very tiresome and boring. Players probably gets impatient for doing that.
- No signature ubers for every character.
- Skis is ew to me but some players like it but I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
One thing I loved about On Tour was the unlimited boost until you crash which made for some very exhilerating runs! I actually had just as much fun with On Tour as I did 3, but 3 overall was a better game no doubt.

I also really enjoyed Blur. Once you got the motion controls down, it was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
XBL: Quicquidlibet
PSN: SpontaneousFish5 (Never use)
For some reason OT was never that bad of a game for me. It was my first introduction to Avenged Sevenfold (Haters gonna hate). I liked the whole run and the events. Blur was just so..ugh. Ugh. No. OT was so much better than blur. I mean, I disagree on SSX3, it was, in my opinion, the best. But I mean OT was always in the middle for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX (2012): Survival: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Survival: #2
PSN: chromemaps
I loved On Tour from start to finish. Took me about 6 years to get 100% but I got there in the end/
The courses were great / and it was fast.
I didn't really care about lack of characters / didn't bother me. The music I turn off anyway as its not my taste.

Yeah it was a notch down from SSX 3 ... but then .... SSX 3 had those really boring bits between the main events which I really hated/

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
XBL: Shade04rek
I loved OT, it was my 1st ssx. I played on tour exclusively for months & its alright, just as addicting as the others. A friend then hooked me up wit 3, and the controls & physics felt almost exactly the same. I admit that 3 set quite a standard for OT to be a good sequel, I guess i cant understand such bias since OT was 1st for me.

Heres your problem if you dont like OT though, your comparing it to the rest. OT is NOT 3 or any of the others, its DIFFERENT but still SSX, and thats it.

There many new things like other noob riders & certain challenges. I think people just hate cause it "didnt do the series characters right" & had a "different" style.

In fact.. looking back up at these other posts & other threads... it seems the gripe is mostly with the cosmetics, but really even if people are just in love with the characters.. thats nothing. Now i bet we'll hear new complaints on the actual gameplay that for some reason wasnt mentioned before up in those top cons... Mad love for all the SSX's though, I'm sure someone even liked blur.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:12 am  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
All your so called "cons" are total bullshit. Crappy graphics? OT had the best graphics in the series, are you playing the fucking gameboy version? Slingshot AI? The AI was superb as it was both challenging and smart. Skis are ew? Then don't choose skis you dumb fuck. The reason everyone was so competitive to each other is because they're supposed to be, it's a race to the top of the fucking leaderboard! The speed blur is what makes the speed look so thrilling, it's not a con. I hated SSX 3, it was short and got boring after playing trough with one character. Plus it was so slow and easy compared to SSX On tour. The characters in SSX 3 were all boring except for Mac.

Come up with some REAL complains next time. Stop being so fucking ignorant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 am  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
I don't understand why so many people despise this game, it may be one of the worst in the series, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. Here's what I loved about it:

- Soundtrack- best one in my opinion (except for the custom one in SSX 2012).
- Good maps- I liked the sort of backcounty as well as city and big air style tracks.
- The career was great- although took a long time to finish.
- The whole mountain run- which was great.
- Hot Dam- great name, and I liked the dam jump (really inventive).
- Liked the create own character, but it looked terrible.
- Customisation of characters.

However...

- Annoying monster tricks which had to be bought and the slow-mo was irritating.
- Ski's, I hate them.
- Menu themes were crap.
- Poor characters.

In the end, whilst not as good as Tricky and 3, this game was actually good (in it's own special way) and I enjoyed it for a long time. I might just fish it out and enjoy it again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 am  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
PSN: new one - PM me
Dingerbell wrote:
I don't understand why so many people despise this game, it may be one of the worst in the series, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. Here's what I loved about it:

- Soundtrack- best one in my opinion (except for the custom one in SSX 2012).
- Good maps- I liked the sort of backcounty as well as city and big air style tracks.
- The career was great- although took a long time to finish.
- The whole mountain run- which was great.
- Hot Dam- great name, and I liked the dam jump (really inventive).
- Liked the create own character, but it looked terrible.
- Customisation of characters.

However...

- Annoying monster tricks which had to be bought and the slow-mo was irritating.
- Ski's, I hate them.
- Menu themes were crap.
- Poor characters.

In the end, whilst not as good as Tricky and 3, this game was actually good (in it's own special way) and I enjoyed it for a long time. I might just fish it out and enjoy it again.

This

+ OT was the one which made me become a loyal fan to the SSX series. I don't care about the bouhh u noob, i love that game. Best soundtrack ever too. much better than SSX 2012 imo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
PSN: Emu90
LilG912 wrote:
SSX on Tour is so ass..2nd worse SSX game behind Blur.

I 2nd that emotion. :lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:08 am  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
riki2cool wrote:
All your so called "cons" are total bullshit. Crappy graphics? OT had the best graphics in the series, are you playing the fucking gameboy version? Slingshot AI? The AI was superb as it was both challenging and smart. Skis are ew? Then don't choose skis you dumb fuck. The reason everyone was so competitive to each other is because they're supposed to be, it's a race to the top of the fucking leaderboard! The speed blur is what makes the speed look so thrilling, it's not a con. I hated SSX 3, it was short and got boring after playing trough with one character. Plus it was so slow and easy compared to SSX On tour. The characters in SSX 3 were all boring except for Mac.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 am  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
This game gets bashed on way too hard.

The only serious thing I didn't like about it was the slo-mo, but then I realized that it was a heavy-handed hint about how the game was supposed to be played much more like a racing game than a freestyle game (the infinite boost and speed blur reinforce this).
Playing it like an SSX game is miserable, but once I started playing it as the racing game it is I started to love it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Baron von Gikkigen wrote:
riki2cool wrote:

He made some very valid points actually, some I agree with. Unfortunately this is a really nice board where we're all polite to each other and not tumblr or 4chan so the comment was kind of ruined by insults and swearing.

On Tour was not as bad as everyone made out to be and I loved some of the character designs, it was just unfortunate that they lacked any development. But Zoe and Kaori looked great, Mac was fine, Allegra looked awesome and Elise and Skye were also designed well. Unfortunately Psymon suffered and Sid and Tyson were lame. I think that was a major issue why no one got into the game.

The soundrtrack was the best by far and there was really absolutely nothing wrong with the tracks themselves as they were fun to play, I've never been a fan of the blending of tracks but if it weren't for 3 and on tour we wouldnt have gotten SSX 2012 where it worked REALLY well.

Trying CAC was either a choice that was going to work or fail and unfortunately it just didn't cut it for this type of game, perhaps if it was more in depth it would have but alas time, budget and content restraints let it down. There wasn't really anything wrong with skiing, yeah it's a snowboard game, but it didn't really impact on any enjoyment or effect any game dynamics. Monster tricks were probably the game's biggest downfall, absolutely terrible idea, but then they kind of implemented the control system into the new SSX, admittedly I don't use it cause I think it's sucky though.

On Tour had it's good and bad points, unfortunately the cons outweighed the pros. :shrug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
PSN: jonipooon
I've said my fair share of OT hate on this board before, but to be honest I did enjoy playing the game - but not as a SSX game. Now it's been 8 years since I played it the last time, but it's only been a year or so since I played SSX, Tricky and 3 the last time. It's still on the shelf somewhere. Perhaps it's worth trying it again, just for the sake of it.

The game just doesnt feel like a SSX game. The CAC-mode, the monster tricks, the ranking system, the skis, the doodle style, the REAL WORLD BRANDS. I always felt that with On Tour, EA really tried to appeal to real snowboarders and skiers, and I guess they did in some way. But it just totally killed the whole SSX-feeling for me and made the game feel like Tony Hawk's Underground - just without a story.

Nevertheless On Tour is a quite good game, and it could have been a good SSX game too. For example, the tracks are awesome and well-done. The soundtrack is dope. The characters DO look amazing, but the biggest problem with On Tour is that the characters fill absolutely no function in the game. You can't play as them on the actual tour and you can't change their clothes (unless you play double in 2P-mode, then one of them will change to another suit so that they can be distinguished from each other). Besides, the voice-acting sucked.

If On Tour was more like SSX3 in terms of character development, it wouldn't be looked down at as much as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
Honestly, I can't think of a single thing OT does better than other SSX games—I guess the NPCs milling about are kind of cool, but you don't need them with SSX/Tricky style tracks (just penguins!). The only thing remarkable about it is how much EA exploited the SSX franchise in order to make a quick buck. They took a well-established series, threw in a bunch of crap that sounds like it came right out of a focus group, shamelessly stuffed it with barefaced advertisements and "sponsorships," and rushed it out the door.

It's the total opposite of what SSX was supposed to be. They were so focused on what was trendy then: skis and sports culture, CAC, a teenage rockstar-wannabe aesthetic, but SSX has never been about what's cool now; it's about allowing people to do things they haven't even thought of yet. As Mr. Rechtschaffner himself said:
Quote:
First of all, I'd like to think of us as leaders, not followers. We're not chasing any categories here. In fact, it is probably just the opposite. I think the thinking was that in the snowboard category, we could do something different. We weren't interested in the "licensed" mentality. It doesn't necessarily have to be a license - but, it can be, say, an athlete or a league. A lot of people, when they are looking at alternative sports games - it's almost like they're looking to license the popularity of that sport. It's like "I'm giving myself a head start because people want to go ride BMX bikes, or snowboarding, or skateboarding." But to me, that's the backward approach to game development. When I look at it, what is going to be the most fun game, and what is going to be the most immersive? From there, I looked at snowboarding as a video game and not as a sport. From there, I thought, "How do we evolve both of these? Because we don't have a lot of the limitations that we once had." The criteria for us - I think this holds true for the whole EA sports Big games - was "How do you create physics and control that feels real but delivers an experience that is beyond what you experience in real life?" I've done simulation games, but to me, this was fun because you can be creative with how you evolve the sport. And I think that is something that a lot of people had a hard time understanding until the game was playable.

OT is a follower that tried to ride on the back of snow sports culture. It has no respect for the rest of the series or for us. We don't owe it anything. It's cool if you like it, but I'm cool with hating it, too. :yes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
My issues with On Tour were primarily:

• The tracks. I mean, there are definitely some fun moments on the courses and some interesting ideas, and the fact that invisible walls reduced the amount of resetting was great, but none of the courses really have their own identity. I can't tell them apart. They all just run together in my mind. To this day, I can't place the correct name on each track, and can't remember which tracks had what.
  • The Ub--ahem--"Monster" tricks. Moving them from the grab buttons to the right analog stick just takes the joy out of them. It feels so mechanical and robotic.
  • The really long events. Three heats through one track is enough. I don't want to be doing the same race for, like, half an hour.
  • Replacing a freeroam mountain on which you can ride to events with menus for everything: Seriously, the menu's so cluttered that it's overwhelming at times. Hey, look at all these things on my screen that I don't want to do. Also, freeroam and the "session" option in 3 made it simple to explore tracks to find shortcuts. If you fell off your line and wanted to try again, you could return to a convenient spot in the track and try again and master it so that you know what to do the next time you're in a race. In On Tour, the shortcuts are harder to get to than ever, yet there is no convenient method for practicing them and getting a feel for the track. To this day, I've not discovered many good lines because I simply didn't care to try anymore.
  • Pushing characters to the background. Create-a-character actually sounds like a great idea. But when you hit the slopes and then realize that the character you create can't talk and doesn't have a personality, all of the sudden, the charm is missing from the game, and you may as well be playing a mannequin. I don't hate CaC on principle, but if it's going to work, some system need to exist so that character interactions and dynamics still happen. I felt like I was playing a nameless ghost competing against other nameless ghosts.
  • Character redesigns. The only ones I liked were Elise (looked more like a real person this time and less like a Maxim pinup) and Zoe (cute hair and cool plaid pants). Mac looked like a chav. Psymon went from having a unique look to looking like "generic punk stock character #6." And the new characters, I couldn't care less about. Seriously, what's up with the guy who wears a suit jacket with parachute pants? WHO DRESSES LIKE THAT AND WHY?

There were definitely aspects I liked, though. The aforementioned invisible wall. The graphics were pretty smooth this time around, and the landscape looked crisper than it did in previous games. I never use skiis, but it's nice knowing they are there. Having NPCs around is cool. And I liked the camera collectible things. The blur lines gave a cool feeling of speed, but I still missed the glowing ribbons and it would be cool if they were combined.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Why the hate?  
I dont hate On Tour, but I consider it to be my least favorite SSX game-which i never thought was possible, mainly because I love the series so much. It has potential, and there is no doubt that it can be played, but it has so much going against it that prevent me from liking it...

Ever since Tricky and SSX3, i played them on the Gamecube, with the exception of the first game of course, its just jarring on how they changed the controls. what I liked about SSX3 is that they kept things familiar, but added in new things without making things complicated...but as you know, that not the case with OT. it feels like they jumbled up the controls without giving a thought that those familiar will find it off putting, since they would suspect that it didnt change from the previous game. And who's bright idea was it to use the C Stick for Uber moves?

The Character Creation thing...it was a good idea, but executed poorly. its like they didnt even try to put in effort whatsoever, and it clearly shows. the character models are pretty terrible, the models from Tricky looks better by comparison. they fact that they have no voices or personality, pretty much shows that no one seems to care. I would love for a future SSX game to try again with this concept...but they gotta try harder next time.

It seems pretty obvious that OT is trying to pander to MTV crowd...correct me if im wrong. the style that they are giving off just doesnt feel right, like im playing Tony Hawk Underground rather than an SSX game. it just feel wrong.

Sid....just...Sid :mad

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  1, 2