Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:46 am  Post subject: Olympics > SSX OT  
XBL: Milwaukee_Brewers
PSN: MilwaukeeBrewers
Don't know if any of you watched the Olympic games last night, but they debuted snowboardcross as a medal event.

Snowboarders
Racing to the bottom of a custom-built course
For Gold / Silver / Bronze medals.

I couldn't help but look at this event and see what I used to like about the SSX franchise. Heck, one of the boarders interviewed even talked about how the different styles of snowboard dictated different lines down the course.

Amazingly, when the Olympic course-builders tried to guide competitors down the run, they put in actual lines painted in the snow along the sides, rather than putting the rejects from Napoleon Dynamite's sketchpad right in the middle of the course. I can't help but note that the Olympics does a better job of recreating the vision of SSX than the most recent version of the game did.

I don't want to turn this into another anti-OT rant (any more than anyone else wants to read it), but I know that some of the posters here have access to the SSX production teams at EA. If you're one of those posters (or if you're part of the production staff itself), I only hope that seeing a real world visualization of the sport can help bringing the game back to what made it successful. I'm not saying it should be a complete copy -- I still want my uber-tricks and the big air -- so much as I look at last night's coverage of the event as Proof-of-concept....and a clear picture of how far from that concept the last game really was.

Anyone else agree?

(P.S. If you missed the men's competition on Thursday, the women go today. The event's already been held, so those of us in the US just have to wait until NBC decides to show it to us in prime-time.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:50 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
Aww, how cute. More complaining about On Tour. It never gets old!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:21 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
You have nothing to add to the topic, don't post. Stop acting like a whiny emo teen.

Anways...

I was thinking, it would be cool see true to form supercross courses and then "nature" supercross courses in the next ssx. Have real race venues and then have the stuff like in ssx3 and what not, that would be pretty nifty to race on real supercross courses and then be able to free ride elsewhere that doesn't invlove being on a course.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:53 am  Post subject:   
XBL: tk9077
PSN: tk102
The Olympics are awesome!! Haha.

Anyways, a snowboardcross event in a SSX game might not be a good idea because it is really challenging and exciting-ish in real life, but basically if you just go through a short track with a few jumps and a lot of turns, then it won't be fun when you're playing the game.

But I think EA should definitely build on this idea, making it like a course with a few obstacles and really tight turns, etc. It could be really interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:27 am  Post subject:   
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
vix wrote:
You have nothing to add to the topic, don't post. Stop acting like a whiny emo teen.

I added plenty to the topic. With my post I was saying that it is always a fun and fresh idea to rip on OT, right? And I'm not acting like a whiny 'emo' teen, I am simply stating my opinion and giving criticism to another person's. If I am a whiny emo teen for what I have said, then there are many whiny-er emo teen across this board.

Anyway. I this the supercross on TV is rad. I watched the girls competition the other day but I heard the boys had an all out fight across the course. In the SSX Tricky videos in the Extras, that one guy talks about how they wanted to try something that was kinda like Motocross and all that in one. So I ask the question, did he like make it up? Because from the way he was talking about it, it kinda sounded like he did. I dono.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 am  Post subject:   
Okay, I know what you are trying to get to, and yes it would be neat for SSX 5 (or whatever they will call it) to be extremely realistic just like the Olympics. But the only problem is the fact that games are meant to be fantasy in some way, so in this case they added unrealistic stuff (of course that is where Urban/Monster tricks and big air comes in.)

But one thing you might want to take note is that SSX on Tour already has stuff on the mountain that the old version did not have, especially non-racers.

:blahblah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:34 pm  Post subject:   
they could easily just have 2 modes. like realistic and..well..ssx. just like how tony hawk has classic and story modes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:16 pm  Post subject:   
SSX: Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Overall: #1
  • SSX: Racing: #2
Putting two whole different modes into a game is like putting amped and ssx OT together and call it SSX5. I don't think that EA accidently added impossible tricks and bone crushing speeds into a game and meant for it to be realistic. SSX was never meant to be realistic, you can call ssx1 realistic but you'd be wrong because it's impossible to jump straight down about 100 feet and land on a flat pad of ice.

I agree with the emo kid about the ranting of how much OT sucks, it's getting old.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]